why not covered in protection

Savingwings
Contributor
Contributor

Purchased printer on eBay, says protected under protection plan. purchase date April 24th. item marked as local pickup. Called merchant and said i will be able to pickup item may 15th or 16th. Also asked if they can deliver or ship and was told they would try to get that done. i was on business trips and when I returned on the 16th may i noticed that item was marked shipped and showed address correct. Tried calling them to see when shipped and how shipped.  No answer no rtn call. left again on another trip and when i returned no package. called again no answer, left msg no rtn call. now June 2nd or 3rd, called eBay and opened case. then i get call from seller saying "You picked it up" ….. No I did not and two days latter eBay says go to PayPal because i missed 30 day window... Now PayPal says 5 days later not covered on protection plan because marked "local pickup" on eBay…..  First question why did eBay covered under protection plan if it was not? clearly shown on listing.  Now PayPal says not covered, and item says shipped  under multi-ship program, shows UPS  and no signature required, no tracking provided...  HUGE run around.  because payment came from funds on hand no recourse there. PayPal says no eBay says no Buyer is out money????   Seller says someone came, but no signature, nothing to show who, and they cannot describe other than older person???? I have never known a business to release goods without signing pickup order, checking id or anything like that. Big grey area of what to do....  I used to like eBay and PayPal, but lately they have gotten so hard to work with.  For a company with as many attorneys as they have doing as much business as they do, but yet so stupid not to have the most simple of business rules in place is absurd. first rule of business is get a signature on pick up with id..... Example I was at Sears, and purchased a trimmer and had to go to pickup counter to get it.  showed copy of paper showing paid, item was brought up and had to show DL or credit card i paid with and then sign, was given copy of pick-up order and then left... I had not even left the store and still had to sign and show proof of purchase!!!   

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Savingwings 

Ineligible items and transactions under PayPal’s Purchase Protection program

Payments for the following are not eligible for reimbursement under PayPal Purchase Protection:

• Real estate, including residential property.
  • Financial products or investments of any kind.
  • Businesses (when you buy or invest in a business).
  • Vehicles, including, but not limited to, motor vehicles, motorcycles, recreational vehicles, aircraft and boats.
  • Significantly Not as Described claims for wholly or partly custom-made items.
  • Donations including payments on crowdfunding platforms.
  • Items prohibited by the PayPal acceptable use policy.
  • For Item Not Received claims, items which you collect in person or arrange to be collected on your behalf, including items bought in a seller’s store location.
  • Industrial machinery used in manufacturing.
  • Anything purchased from, or an amount paid to, a government agency.
  • Stored value items such as gift cards and pre-paid cards.
  • Gambling, gaming and/or any other activity with an entry fee and a prize.
  • Payments sent using PayPal’s friends and family functionality. 
  • Payments sent using PayPal to any bill payment service.
  • Payments made using PayPal Payouts and Mass Pay or guest checkout transactions (i.e. not sent using your PayPal account).

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Savingwings
Contributor
Contributor
First, if you walk into a store and buy, then how could you say not received? You are there. Second was “who new” besides the seller, anyone watching eBay sees who purchased and looks at profile of buyer and they then can go to location and get it”! This seller even said “ I could sell it from my store for more money, I should never have listed”. Third why would a seller go to the trouble of showing they used “Multi-ship” to create label and choose UPS as shipper? Third why did the ad show shipped with correct address unless they did actually ship? Loop holes that need to be closed! And who in there right mind would give out anything without knowing who was taking it??? Would love to find a Porsche dealer this dumb!!!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Savingwings 

The ONLY way paypal can know if an item has been received or not is by the seller providing a tracking number that proves delivery of the item.

But if you have arranged with the seller to collect the item then there is no way that paypal can know if that was done or not which is why they DO NOT cover you for collection only items.

The fact you and the seller decided to ship later has nothing to do with ebay or paypal as the AUCTION was marked collection only so again NO buyer protection.

You have the option of private legal action against the seller if you want to but thats up to you.l

Paypal gives you some buyer protection but its not a 100% coverall and in this instance you were not covered.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Savingwings

I did a search for "eBay protection local pick up" and the first thing I saw was: "And whatever you do, don't open the case in PayPal, because you'd likely lose straight away - PayPal buyer protection doesn't cover local pickup at all". 😂😖

"First question why did eBay covered under protection plan if it was not? clearly shown on listing."

It was covered for 30 days, you missed that window. There are procedures that have to be followed in order to get protection, it's not a do whatever or whatever happens policy.

PayPal dispute and eBay dispute is two different systems, mind. This seller ain't Sears, just some random seller on a marketplace who haven't bothered to develop their best practices but it seems like they don't have to. It one of those situations where things just fell into place which caused you loss. It happens in general for both buyers and sellers. It just is.

Generally, one can't win/file a INR (not received) case when it is local pick up, can only file SNAD (not as described). Very clear in the PayPal purchase protection policy. On the other hand, who else knew you had a printer to pick up from this particular seller?????

Furthermore, please, always stick to the plan, don't change it; don't even ask, post-purchase/payment, talkin' about "can you ship?" with a No Shipping: Local Pick Up only listing.

If you want it shipped buy under a "Shipped" listing.

Another person posted how they lost their money because they changed their best practice plan of messaging a digital code through eBay, instead of posting it. Stick to the plan, People.

PayPal ruled according to policy in your case. If you paid with credit card, contact your card issuer and see if you can get your money back that way.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.