why Paypal supports Chinese companies that are practically a scam?

SeattleShopper
Contributor
Contributor

Seriously though... Am I right?  How many others have had issues where you trusted a company because PayPal was processing the payment only to find out the company was in @China and a @month later your order still hadn't shipped?  We're a month in and PayPal is giving this seller another 20 days to ship, and I can't get ahold of a real person to talk to from either company.  You've been warned.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SeattleShopper 

"PayPal does not have any control over the products or services provided by sellers who accept PayPal as a payment method, and PayPal cannot ensure that a buyer or a seller you are dealing with will actually complete the transaction or is authorized to do so."

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US#disclaimer-warranty

That said some of these companies are dropshippers who order from other vendors when a customer places an order which could be a nightmare in terms of shipping logistics, adding on to the nightmare of reduced staff at shipping carriers.

It depends on how long you want to wait but if you don't want to wait any longer, file a chargeback with your card issuer.

Do research on the site/merchant before you buy. Look for any scam reports or site reviews.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

SeattleShopper
Contributor
Contributor

I can't charge the seller because PayPal won't let me charge an account with Chinese characters for the name. 😞  I think PayPal has a duty to their customers to have seller standards. 

Login to Me Too

SeattleShopper
Contributor
Contributor

I think someone should start a class action lawsuit against PayPal for doing business with these sellers.  PayPal has a duty to their customers. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SeattleShopper 

Customers have a duty to risk assess their transactions and not buy from scam China sites or from Social Media ads.

Paypal gives you 'some' buyer protection but its up to you to risk assess your own transactions.

And you can't open a class action suit against paypal but if you are a person with loads of money to take on paypal lawyers then you can open a private lawsuit HOWEVER paypals user agreement was agreed by the financial services ombudsman or equivalent in every country where they offer there services.

They can't bail everyone out for their poor choice of sellers unfortunately.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ojs4
Contributor
Contributor

I have a VERY similar story. I just saw an article about this in the news and thought of looking here. In my case, PayPal sided with a knock-off producer that was fraudulently advertising on Instagram. Their website disappeared and they were not even responding to PayPal itself by the time PayPal decided in their favor.

I'm here to say that my solution was to replace my PayPal Plus Mastercard with a bank that still has humans working for it. I soon discovered that just replacing my preferred card did not keep my PayPal Mastercard from being charged when clicking the PayPal button on sites where I had already used PayPal in the past, when my PayPal Plus card had been my preferred card. I had to go into the place on the PayPal site where you change cards you've set for recurring payments (like subscriptions) and de-couple my card from every single vender I had ever used PayPal with before. Took some time but worth it to know that at least PayPal will not be collecting on that part of their business with me ever again!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.