Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Temp20230128b 

Digital river is an ecommerce payment company. They don't fraudulently take your money. They partner with companies like Samsung, Microsoft, razr, McAfee, avast, etc. If you buy from those websites, your charge may show up as from digital river. They also handle subscriptions. A lot of times what happens is people accept a free trial for a product, like anti virus, and forget to cancel and it auto renews. Be careful what you are accepting Again...Digital river just handles the orders and payments submitted by partner companies.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
65 REPLIES 65

Casspass176
New Community Member

I’ve recently been a victim of fraud and I want to know what to do. Police say I can’t do anything about it. I sold an iPad online, sent a request for money on PayPal, for an email saying I received money etc. posted the stupid iPad, it all ended up being fake so I lost $600 and my iPad. Australia post won’t do anything about it. Has anyone else been in a situation like this and how did you deal with it? What did you do?

Login to Me Too

melvinchew
Contributor
Contributor

I am one of the victim, being charged by a Company call Digital River Ireland , Dublin 

I have had no dealing with this company and purchase nothing from them.  I have had cancelled my credit card as advise by my bank

and the bank will issue me a new one and claim from you guys for all the Amount charged by this Digital River Ireland Dublin. 

I received nothing from Digital River Ireland Dublin for two months, as I did not purchase anything from them, but kept seeing in my credit card being charged. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Casspass176 

Sadly if it was a scam there is nothing paypal can do as none of the transaction would have been done using paypals site.

The scam involves fake paypal emails etc.

The request for payment is just to get more details re your name and email address for those scam emails.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.

@melvinchew 

Digital river is an ecommerce payment company. They don't fraudulently take your money. They partner with companies like Samsung, Microsoft, razr, McAfee, avast, etc. If you buy from those websites, your charge may show up as from digital river. They also handle subscriptions. A lot of times what happens is people accept a free trial for a product, like anti virus, and forget to cancel and it auto renews. Be careful what you are accepting Again...Digital river just handles the orders and payments submitted by partner companies.

Check if you had a subscription set up...

Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > "manage pre-approved payments''.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

jzuvariwme
Contributor
Contributor

On the 24th June I was surprised to find my PayPal account had been charged £44.00 for the supposed renewal of Kaspersky Anti Virus Software. I was sure there had been a mistake somewhere and that PayPal being a reliable and trustworthy Payment platform I would have my money refunded. Firstly I didn't know who DIGITAL RIVER IRELAND LTD were. Secondly I had not entered into any prior agreement with them for and Subscription agreement. Thirdly I did not want to renew Kaspersky. Windows 10 comes with Microsoft Defender and this will be adequate to protect me. I then opened a case with PayPal to have the transaction cancelled and have my money back. To my horror I received a terse reply that they not going to refund the money as I had entered into a prior Subscription agreement with Digital River Ireland Ltd. Further more they have closed the case and so I'm barred from taking any further action to recover the money stolen from my PayPal account.  Here is the response from PayPal:

"Case closed: Transaction not covered
Case ID: PP-I-5763243
Thank you for reporting this case. After reviewing your case, we found that this transaction
was not unauthorised and therefore isn't eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection.
Case details
Transactions not refunded
We've been unable to provide any refund on the transactions listed.
Dispute reason: Unauthorised access
Case status: Closed
Date reported :25 Jun 2019
Jun 24
Digital River Ireland, Ltd.
Pre-approved Payment - £44.99
HELP CONTACT US SECURITY FEEDBACK
©1999-2019 PayPal.

Further communications with PayPal Support Team have been abysmal to say the least. They keep telling me I signed a voluntary agreement with a company that I know nothing about. I have never ever been in communication with Digital River Ireland Ltd. I have no way of getting in touch with this bogus company. After a lot of persistence from me PayPal support team gave me a number and told me if I ring this number Digital River Ireland will refund me my money. And the PayPal guy even vouched for their reputation. This is the number: <removed>. Please anyone in the same predicament ring this number and if you get through please let me know. 

I'm angry with PayPal first and foremost. They have not protected me from a rogue company stealing money from account by setting up a renewal mandate without my consent. The onus should not be on me to prove the legality of this renewal mandate but on the third party (in this case Digital River Ireland Ltd) who are claiming that I gave consent for them to charge a recurrent fee on my PayPal account. What do the GDPR regulations say are PayPal's responsibilities in looking after our accounts and to protect us from this blatant scam? 

Please let me know what you think. Surely we cannot let Digital River Ireland Ltd get away with this open fraud. It is easy money for them. And they are being protected by PayPal from accounting for their actions. They don't even have to produce any proof of prior consent. It is I who is being asked to show that I had no prior agreement with Digital River Ireland Ltd. How unfair is that? 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jzuvariwme 

Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > "manage pre-approved payments''.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Temp20230128b 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Kaymac71
Contributor
Contributor

I had £49.99 take for Avast software that I did not purchase. PayPal say it was authorised and it was setup as a recurring payment, which is now cancelled. Having to go to avast to try and get refund, bank have been informed of fraud. Have changed PayPal email address and password.

Login to Me Too

KieranRyan
Contributor
Contributor

I would have to say, as an experienced online shopper, that this company in my opinion should be avoided AT ALL COSTS.

My opinion obviously... in my case I was buying a computer via this parasitic entity ... please - don't even go there for the sake of your sanity.... go thru a retailer that has retail experience... as in when you order, and dr says "in stock" - they really mean "...essentially we have absolutely no idea as to whether it is in stock or not NOR do we give a crap...".

If you try to cancel an order or try to get in touch with them ... best of good luck... 

I have been scammed/lied to/treated like an idiot MANY times before - usually by internet service providers..., but this crowd... in my humble opinion are THE worst I have ever met.

Login to Me Too

KieranRyan
Contributor
Contributor

Solved... I can't seem to be able to close the thread... thanks for everyone that contributed. 

I get it... they are legal... not entirely efficient in my one off experience but they didn't RIP me off.

End of... thanks for your time.... 

Best wishes, 

K.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.