when I signed up 17 years ago, they claimed they would not ask for your SSN.

wynna
Contributor
Contributor
I opened my Paypal account in 2002. My eBay account dates back to 1999. I, to my knowledge, have no complaints against me on either account *knock on wood* I used these accounts for purchases only, except for $0.65 I got from coupons.com. And the very idea that monies less than $1 cannot be transferred to one's bank, and cannot otherwise be used without submitting one's SSN is disgusting and make a the original PayPal look like a hypocrite. Mix this less than $1 issue with EBay billing, and conversely refunding, NYS tax as a separate transaction, I ask who is winning, who is losing, and what pockets are we lining by refusing to give out our SSN like the SSA used to tell us? An EBay purchase went south. The seller issued a refund. The refund came in two parts - the price for the item with shipping, and NYS tax. The tax was $0.75. Paypal let me transfer the purchase and shipping price to my bank, but the separate refund transaction for NYS tax they would not because it is less than $1. I used to really like Paypal, but I don't, in essence, want another bank, line of credit, etc. I am glad I learned about this losing leas than a dollar. But sorry - we are taught in public schools from a young age to question exactly why anyone would require your social. I used to use PayPal for everything - local hardware store, Ticketmaster, eBay, purchases outside eBay, but not anymore... So long....
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@wynna 

Bye

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.