unauthorized large money transfer

laurene80
Contributor
Contributor

A large withdrawl from my bank account was initiated to my Paypal plus account - which I never set up.

I've changed my password and alerted my bank that it was not authorized but they can't do anything. 

Is there any way to make sure that my account is secure so that I can move the money back to my account once it transfers?

Or does anyone have a customer service number???  When I call they say they can't process my call.  

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

chelleven
Contributor
Contributor

I am dealing with this right now. I am positive my app was compromised and they changed my password (only on the app), added another phone number, and changed the language to Spanish. One of my bank accounts is now overdrawn, but the transfer is still pending so I can't do anything. My husband's entire paycheck is in limbo now.

Login to Me Too

laurene80
Contributor
Contributor
That’s exactly what happened to me. I changed my password and removed all of their information from my account. Then sat and waited in limbo too. The good news is that as soon as that money hit the PayPal plus account I was able to transfer it back to my bank account. Phew! I hope that it works for you too!
Login to Me Too

WntrMute2
Contributor
Contributor
Happened to me too the other day. Language changed to Spanish, an unknown phone number added and $1,000 transfered from bank to PayPal. The message system says they are working on the issue but the messages just sort of day the same version of "thanks for letting us know. We will message you back when we know something" Frustrating and am beginning to hate PP. The linking of the bank account seem to be asking for trouble.
Login to Me Too

Thatgirljae
Contributor
Contributor
Hi Lauren, Did you file a dispute claim with Pal pay? I am in the same situation as you were in and the funds are supposed to be deposited in my account tomorrow (September 18th), however I filed a dispute. I was hoping that the funds would still be deposited in my Paypal cash account and I could send it back to my bank.
Login to Me Too

jdolphins68
Contributor
Contributor

Hello:

Mine would not let me file a dispute because it was a pending transaction.  I also cannot remove my bank account now because I have a review going on.  But getting any information from CHAT is awful.  It takes a day to get one sentence and I have told them I tried cancelling and a dispute and nothing works.  Still nothing today.  I'm so angry I want to file charges against Paypal for allowing this to happen to us.  Nonesense

Login to Me Too

Alucard55
Same thing happened to me. My language setting was changed to Spanish and a phone number was added as my main number. I deleted the number and changed password. Bank says they can’t stop because it’s already been transferred on their end. My PayPal doesn’t show a “PayPal balance” though and I didn’t know where that money is going. On PayPal activity it shows the transfer is still pending. I can’t get a hold of anybody at PayPal through phone, as every time it says automated phone service can’t help and to use message center. But waiting 2 days with no response in message center.
Login to Me Too

WntrMute2
Contributor
Contributor

The lack of phone contact and decent messaging system is unacceptable.  The system can be hacked clearly and all PP says is change your password.  I've been using the two-step verification process since this happened but I don't know why their customer service is so poor.  There really needs to be a contact for that is real-time to get these issues resolved.

Login to Me Too

LSZG11
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing occurred for me today.  Same thing when I log in, language changed to French, phone numbers I did not recognized.  Changed password, security pins, etc....   Now waiting for the $1000 to hit  my account so I can send it back.  PITA!   I am closing my Paypal account after this.  Their customer service is horrible!!!  

Login to Me Too

jdolphins68
Contributor
Contributor

My too, changed my account to French and different phone numbers I got a message and immediately shut everything down, I am sure if that payment would have not bounced it would have been redirected out of our accounts.  I shut everything I can to shut and cancel this account.  It did hit my account on 09/15/2020 and they charged me an NSF fee.  I cannot get chat to answer me more than once per day.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.