unauthorised payments reported but paypal says they were authorised..

torog27
Contributor
Contributor

I noticed multiple payments from my account to "Shopto.net" for top ups to a playstation wallet....I DID NOT MAKE THESE PAYMENTS...I have never even visited shopto net and have no playstation wallet....I reported this to paypal and changed my password ...I have also just had to change it again to get on this forum.....They have replied that they have investigated and say the payments were authorised ...BUT THEY WERE NOT...has anybody had the same experience and what did you do to make paypaol listen?

I am prepared to take out a claim against paypal in the UK small claims court if need be as I DID NOT make these payments but wondered how I actually get to mesage a real person at paypal.

Please community help.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Kraytz
Contributor
Contributor
Exact same problem, my cards haven't been charged yet but it's taking forever to message them to dispute this and the website itself shopto.net say they can't discuss details, PayPal has to deal with it.
Login to Me Too

torog27
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Kraytz

Yes got no sense whatsoever fromPaypal...they just passed the buck and said contact the credit card company....I already had and actually got to communictae with a human being who knew what they were talking about and their fraud team answered the phone immediately...the total opposite of paypal.

I was told to cut up the old card and they sent me a new one and refunded all the money....over £230!

The point remains though that even though  the payment used was my credit card the fraudster purchased the items through my paypal account so obviously it was hacked and paypal's security is obviously at fault....a point they are not will to acknowledge.

So I removed all payment cards from my paypal account exept the now cut up cancelled one (you have to leave at least one on) and I wanted to close my account...BUT I CAN'T without first of all changing my password (AGAIN) ...setting up a new card...and about 4 other things..all just to be able to then close it!!...you couldn't make this up!

So have just decided to  leave it as is in a state of limbo  where I can't use it exept to accept payment....oh yes they don't suspend money coming in !

So it's the same as closing the account as there are no valid payment methods in there for any more fraudsters to get their grubby hands on.

I can easily live without paypal as everything ....even ebay sellers...can accept just credit/debit card payments no problem.

Paypal and Ebay are joint holders of worst customer service I have ever experienced.

Login to Me Too

Kraytz
Contributor
Contributor

I'm glad you at least your bank was helpful and got your money back, PayPal have been very useless on this matter considering I have seen at least 6 other users complaining about this Shopto.net website. I have done the same and removed my cards and will eventually delete my account.

For me however eit's really weird, my PayPal has been charged but my bank says there are no charges or upcoming charges even on my account so I don't know what's going on but hey we'll see.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.