swopply technology co (PayPal scam)

J600
Contributor
Contributor
Swopply Technology co basically advertise the latest tech via paid Instagram ads, and land you on a shopify website accepting PayPal. They run the store for a few months, scam a load of buyers and then close the store and open a new one. If you google swopply technology scam you’ll find lots of victims. The scam is fairly simple... 1. advertise popular items for sale 2. accept PayPal monies from unknowing shoppers 3. Swopply technology sends either an empty box or random item from China in the post with tracking (to have proof of postage) 4. Buyer opens a dispute, and either loses because seller has tracking OR is requested to post random item or empty box to China, which swopply know is cost prohibitive from the uk - therefore are able to get away with it My question is this, why do PayPal allow this to continue? And what (if anything) can be done to get your money back if you’ve fallen victim to this scam. Or is the solution to not use PayPal, and use an alternative gateway with more secure options? Would love feedback.
Login to Me Too
68 REPLIES 68

FriendlyGiant
Contributor
Contributor

Just a note: Funny that your web link takes me to a page that says something went wrong...

Login to Me Too

FriendlyGiant
Contributor
Contributor

Web Link response: 

Something’s not right.

That page doesn’t exist.

Maybe as a moderator paypal_martin you could be a bit more receptive to what is being said by the people and take it up with PayPal if you can. It will eventually hit PayPal where it hurts to...their bottom line

Login to Me Too

Kingsmanwife
Contributor
Contributor
Yeah and sadly there are so many of us who got scammed. I'm personally thinking on cancelling my paypal altogether If they can't actually protect us consumers. They said they would refund me my 50 bucks for some cheese **bleep** diecast helicopter that was supposed to be an actual remote control helicopter. ONLY way I get reimbursed from PayPal is to mail the junk BACK to China AT MY EXPENSE!!! So not cool
Login to Me Too

Robbedofmoney
Contributor
Contributor
I've had the same thing and PayPal ain't interested probably because they're in on it as a fool proof way of robbing people every time I post about this PayPal have it taken down robbing **bleep**
Login to Me Too

MY-Canuck
Contributor
Contributor
You do realise that all your disputes are automatically handled by bots that follows a protocol and the scammers know exactly what to produce so that PayPal's system recognises as acceptable in their favour.
Kudos appreciated..
Remember if anything seems to good to be true, chances are it is!
Login to Me Too

FriendlyGiant
Contributor
Contributor

Before this Xmas season I never thought about it. I always received what I purchased. This year totally different, 6 orders from china and only 1 send what the showed in advertisement. Yes after dealing with PayPal on each case I know that it is mostly bots that do the work, but I even managed to get in touch with a representative at PayPal, the person answering the phone is not able to help dues to PayPal policies on confidentiality. And the sellers know this and I think so does PayPal. PayPal just down right refuses to stand up and be counted when being asked to do the right thing and send the seller a clear message that they will not stand for people being ripped off. PayPal will not freely offer the buyers any case history because of this confidentially, which only goes to protect the unethical seller even more. Like I said I would just start recommending that people stop using PayPal all together for any transaction with a seller in China.

Login to Me Too

JWClassicParts
New Community Member

I too was scammed on the No Installation Folding Storage Rack with Wheel - Black / 5 layers and received the cheap plastic small bathroom soap shelf.  Emails started offering 40% refund, then 50% then 60%  I guess the real product advertised doesn't exist and all customers are treated like dirt. I wish there was some way to force dodgy seller to wear the costs to return. 

Dear customer,

We are sorry to tell you only you return the item to the following address that we can refund you fully,

This is our return China.As we checked your troubles, we sincerely want to help you.
In this case, how about we offer you a 60% discount off your payment. This is the biggest discount we can give you.
May we know is that Okay for you?
Waiting for your early reply.
So sorry for your inconvenience

Login to Me Too

erikin2k7
Contributor
Contributor
I just keep reading this horror stories incredible how a sistem like PayPal still don’t take action and track the account the money was sent and start giving refunds to us.
Login to Me Too

FriendlyGiant
Contributor
Contributor

I guess the only way to hit PayPal were it will have them pay attention to cases like this, is to tell your friends and family not to use PayPal for purchases that first off come from China. This would be the only year that I had issues with dollar store bait and switch items showing up. And all of them through ads on Facebook. These another lost causes, trying to take the matter up with them. Don't purchase anything off Facebook. The transactions done with reputable firms like E bay and actual stores that I could call on the phone to verify they real, there was no issues. Buyer Beware still holds true.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@FriendlyGiant 

OR tell your friends to avoid these ....

Chinese Web Sites or on Facebook easy to spot so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.