swopply technology co (PayPal scam)

J600
Contributor
Contributor
Swopply Technology co basically advertise the latest tech via paid Instagram ads, and land you on a shopify website accepting PayPal. They run the store for a few months, scam a load of buyers and then close the store and open a new one. If you google swopply technology scam you’ll find lots of victims. The scam is fairly simple... 1. advertise popular items for sale 2. accept PayPal monies from unknowing shoppers 3. Swopply technology sends either an empty box or random item from China in the post with tracking (to have proof of postage) 4. Buyer opens a dispute, and either loses because seller has tracking OR is requested to post random item or empty box to China, which swopply know is cost prohibitive from the uk - therefore are able to get away with it My question is this, why do PayPal allow this to continue? And what (if anything) can be done to get your money back if you’ve fallen victim to this scam. Or is the solution to not use PayPal, and use an alternative gateway with more secure options? Would love feedback.
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@J600 

Chinese Web Sites or on Facebook easy to spot so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

How do I open a dispute with a seller when a purchase goes wrong?

You can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre of your PayPal account within 180 days of payment if:
•You don’t receive the item
•You receive an item but it’s significantly different than the description on eBay or on the seller’s website

By opening a dispute, you can communicate directly with your seller to work out a problem transaction.

If you reach an agreement with the seller you can close the dispute. If you're still not happy with the result, you can escalate the dispute into a claim. We'll review the claim and decide on reimbursement.

These steps apply to Personal accounts. If you have a Business account, please log in to see the steps that apply to you.

To open a dispute:
1.Log in to your PayPal account.
2. Click on the transaction and use the resolve a problem option at the bottom of that details page.

Note:
•Generally buyers must wait at least 7 days from the date of payment to escalate a dispute for an item not received
•Where an item has not been received, please ensure you have given the seller enough time before opening a dispute

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/first-dispute

DO NOT CLOSE THE DISPUTE UNTIL YOU HAVE A CLEARED REFUND OR YOUR ITEM WHATEVER THE SELLER SAYS. ALSO DON'T FORGET TO ESCALATE THE DISPUTE TO A CLAIM WITHIN 20 DAYS IF THE SELLER DOES NOT REFUND.

If that does not work then if you funded your paypal payment via a card then contact your card issuer and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
68 REPLIES 68
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@J600 

Chinese Web Sites or on Facebook easy to spot so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

How do I open a dispute with a seller when a purchase goes wrong?

You can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre of your PayPal account within 180 days of payment if:
•You don’t receive the item
•You receive an item but it’s significantly different than the description on eBay or on the seller’s website

By opening a dispute, you can communicate directly with your seller to work out a problem transaction.

If you reach an agreement with the seller you can close the dispute. If you're still not happy with the result, you can escalate the dispute into a claim. We'll review the claim and decide on reimbursement.

These steps apply to Personal accounts. If you have a Business account, please log in to see the steps that apply to you.

To open a dispute:
1.Log in to your PayPal account.
2. Click on the transaction and use the resolve a problem option at the bottom of that details page.

Note:
•Generally buyers must wait at least 7 days from the date of payment to escalate a dispute for an item not received
•Where an item has not been received, please ensure you have given the seller enough time before opening a dispute

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/first-dispute

DO NOT CLOSE THE DISPUTE UNTIL YOU HAVE A CLEARED REFUND OR YOUR ITEM WHATEVER THE SELLER SAYS. ALSO DON'T FORGET TO ESCALATE THE DISPUTE TO A CLAIM WITHIN 20 DAYS IF THE SELLER DOES NOT REFUND.

If that does not work then if you funded your paypal payment via a card then contact your card issuer and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Brianp1958
Contributor
Contributor
I have experienced this since before Christmas as soon as I got the fake item I contacted paypal within minutes but due to the paypal policy I had to resolve with the seller who offered me a discount and keep the item this went on for a week they where open that paypal wouldn't pursue them this is what they said even offered me good luck told me I had to return the item at my cost and this was backed up by paypal after I escollated it it cost me half of what I had paid to do this 13.50 gbp but I was determined they wasn't getting away with it the item was received back via tracking app but the company never responded back as it was paypal refunded because of no response so not only am I down but also paypal lose out if they had a dedicated number to address this the payment would not have been released and the scam wouldn't have worked i have addressed this with Instagram also these scammers must be making a fortune I'm aware now but could I in anyway be refunded for the bogus returns policy??
Login to Me Too

lifesmagick
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing happened to me! Why is paypal not taking care of this? 

Login to Me Too

MY-Canuck
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 

Yes. Many names. One website. Multiple emails. PayPal email different from site email. Customer Relations email different too. All ads coming from FB, and other Social Media. Bought a $39.95 plus $8 postage “Robot Cleaner wth self cleaning base”. Received crap toy junk. Complained to PayPal. Seller offered $20 back. Basically they still make $27 per item if people accept it when they don’t want the hassle. I refused. So back to PayPal. Meanwhile they reply to say that they have “cancelled my order and that I deal with PayPal”.

Ok. So shall I wait for PayPal’s response or should I do a charge a with American Express since it was paid with this via PayPal. I read somewhere on this forum thatI should wait for PayPal before doing a chargeback. Seller has not requested item back. But I can send it off quite cheaply.. certified mail with signature and tracking is available thru Us. 

Kudos appreciated..
Remember if anything seems to good to be true, chances are it is!
Login to Me Too

FriendlyGiant
Contributor
Contributor

The items purchased were paid from a bank account. I don't really think that the bank will be of much use in this this situation.

Hey I have an Idea. PayPal should request an actual digital photo of the item(s) sent along with a packing list from the seller. The buyer can video the opening of the package film the packing list and the item(s) being removed form the package. This way if the item being sent doesn't match what is received by the buyer, PayPal can refund the purchase price and shipping charges back to the buyer and ask the shipper for the cost of returning the goods. this would go a long way to reducing the ability of an dishonorable seller from reaping rewards for unethical practices. How about this PayPal.

Login to Me Too

FriendlyGiant
Contributor
Contributor

AS I see it: PayPal does not want to provide protection to the buyer in these bait and switch scams. the way things are set up allow the perpetrator of the scam to operate as PayPal policies enable this scam to happen and be concluded to t final ends where the scammer gets away with it. Making it profitable for the scammer and PayPal. I think PayPal would want to protect the main reason they are in operation, without buyers there is no need for PayPal. 

Just a few tweaks to how PayPal allows sellers to interact with buyer would solve all these issues. Real reputable sellers could handle what is being asked of them and scammers would loose money and drop out. PayPal just needs to want to provide the protection for the buyer.

Login to Me Too

The solution isn't helpful for people post being scammed.   I mentioned this discussion thread to PayPal during my dispute and they just replied that they screen all of their businesses business plans and have faith in all companies who use PayPal etc etc....   of course a company isn't going to submit a business plan saying they plan to scam people.

PayPal are flat out just saying the only option is to pay the high postage costs to return the item.
They are not actually wanting to fix the problem, just deal with us when we complain like this as they make too much from the merchant fees.

Login to Me Too

Lol just wrote to PayPal in regards to my dispute, saying people are either out the cost of shipping or just have no option but to close the case when shipping is too expensive.  PayPal replied with instructions on how to close my dispute. Great customer service there.

Login to Me Too

bippi
Contributor
Contributor

Don't do a chargeback against paypal.  They will likely raise holy hellfire with your account for doing so, and lets be real, we need paypal.

Next up, paypal, at least here in the states, has a shipping reimbursement you can get paid for if you sign-up.  I would imagine googling shipping reimbursement would get you somewhere.  

The thing I ran into is the shipping reimbursement is up to 30 bucks, but it would be 45 to ship it back.   So my net 'recovery' would be 7 dollars.  I'm mad, but ultimately, ok.   Just a little wiser.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.