swopply technology co (PayPal scam)

J600
Contributor
Contributor
Swopply Technology co basically advertise the latest tech via paid Instagram ads, and land you on a shopify website accepting PayPal. They run the store for a few months, scam a load of buyers and then close the store and open a new one. If you google swopply technology scam you’ll find lots of victims. The scam is fairly simple... 1. advertise popular items for sale 2. accept PayPal monies from unknowing shoppers 3. Swopply technology sends either an empty box or random item from China in the post with tracking (to have proof of postage) 4. Buyer opens a dispute, and either loses because seller has tracking OR is requested to post random item or empty box to China, which swopply know is cost prohibitive from the uk - therefore are able to get away with it My question is this, why do PayPal allow this to continue? And what (if anything) can be done to get your money back if you’ve fallen victim to this scam. Or is the solution to not use PayPal, and use an alternative gateway with more secure options? Would love feedback.
Login to Me Too
68 REPLIES 68

Garethcymru
Contributor
Contributor

I had exactly the same scam...

suit carrier promised.... £20 charged and a crappy little shoe size bag shipped

waiting on PayPal for resolution 

Login to Me Too

Brianp1958
Contributor
Contributor
Well I see more and more of us being scammed this is yet another pandemic coming from China and unless PayPal take it on board it's not going to go away and us as customers are the ones who suffer I rang up within thirty minutes of signing for package surely they could have blocked paying the scammers and investigated it to save them thousands wouldn't surprise me if they where in on scam somewhere along line as they don't seem to take any of it serious all we can do for now is watch it continue and try to warm others or even better use a credit card sod PayPal good luck folk and keep up this blog you never know one day Paypal may listen
Login to Me Too

kstewart38
New Community Member

Yes they scammed me out of money too.  I placed and order for 2 of the Stainless Steel Multi-layer Household Kitchen Storage Basket With Wheels - Four Floors and they sent me doll baby plastic mini size baskets. This is 1000% totally unacceptable.  I'm absolutely **bleep** off at the highest level of pisstivity!!!

Login to Me Too

FriendlyGiant
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry to hear this. I would just think that anything that is attached to china anymore is not a worth while endeavor. I got my third item a helicopter that was to be 32" long (for reference), in the package it was less than 10" and same thing will happen. Company that appear to be attached to this last purchase JANIEN,  Markigo Shop, Circuos Technology Co., Ltd. So some new ones to be aware of. Would be nice if PayPal would direct all parties having issues to the same area, so we (the buyers) could see just how big this issue is. I would like to include the email I have for the company but it is not allowed.

Login to Me Too

MY-Canuck
Contributor
Contributor
Emails change. So do websites. But the scam is the same. Guilty culprit is also FB for putting these scam ads up as 'sponsored'. I've reported a few ads as scam. Don't know if FB would actually do anything.
Kudos appreciated..
Remember if anything seems to good to be true, chances are it is!
Login to Me Too

Brianp1958
Contributor
Contributor
Unfortunately these company's advertise on nearly every social media sites they all offer bargains to good to be true and after they scammed enough they become in-contactable costing us and PayPal from now on I'm sticking to Amazon and eBay even they are not 100% but they do fight your corner we live by our mistakes pity PayPal don't have a freeze transaction button until resolved would save us all a fortune especially PayPal the only reason I bought from these sellers was because they offered PayPal paymen which I thought would be a good guarantee but unfortunately it wasn't I do hope they bring something in to protect us the consumer soon but all I keep doing is spreading the word either by mouth or social media good luck all
Login to Me Too

GalwayDude
Contributor
Contributor

Me too, I'm sticking to Amazon and Ebay and paying by Credit card from now on.  I'm DONE with paypal.  They are facilitating these scammers and are profiting from it.  Paypals dispute mechanism is beyond a waste of time. Crap Company

Login to Me Too

FriendlyGiant
Contributor
Contributor

Got another package from JDLOVEIN   aka ourinspirelife.. Light saber...cheap dollar store items and you know that it will cost way more to ship them back. I would advise anyone reading this to think carefully about making any purchase from china and even any purchase using Pay Pal. I spent several calls with understanding call center people but nothing happens to the seller for acting in bad faith. Pay Pal does not even give you up dates on what is happening to the seller, and of course, seeing it is far too expensive to return the item Pay Pal is all to eager to deny your claim. as will happen in short order with this purchase as well. maybe time to just use your credit card and stop dealing altogether with Pay Pal

Login to Me Too

Zombieford

I bought a pair of Blowfish shoes.  I have been disputing with Paypal that this is fraud for 2 months.  The only way I can get money back is to ship item back to China - they gave me a chinese address that I cannot read at all.  Which is ridiculous -the item is a knock off and worth $5.00 at best and it will cost $50 to mail back.  I thought paypal did better at buyer protection.   I really don't have the money to lose - but have to at this point and will probably donate, even though I want to throw them away.  Complete garbage.

Login to Me Too

Kingsmanwife
Contributor
Contributor
Exactly same with me! We all need to just not use paypal. At least we know our banks cover and protect us from fraud
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.