swopply technology co (PayPal scam)

J600
Contributor
Contributor
Swopply Technology co basically advertise the latest tech via paid Instagram ads, and land you on a shopify website accepting PayPal. They run the store for a few months, scam a load of buyers and then close the store and open a new one. If you google swopply technology scam you’ll find lots of victims. The scam is fairly simple... 1. advertise popular items for sale 2. accept PayPal monies from unknowing shoppers 3. Swopply technology sends either an empty box or random item from China in the post with tracking (to have proof of postage) 4. Buyer opens a dispute, and either loses because seller has tracking OR is requested to post random item or empty box to China, which swopply know is cost prohibitive from the uk - therefore are able to get away with it My question is this, why do PayPal allow this to continue? And what (if anything) can be done to get your money back if you’ve fallen victim to this scam. Or is the solution to not use PayPal, and use an alternative gateway with more secure options? Would love feedback.
Login to Me Too
68 REPLIES 68

Brianp1958
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for acknowledging like you say a bit more wiser
Login to Me Too

Brianp1958
Contributor
Contributor
Just read up on shipping reimbursement and we have it here in UK but you have to purchase the postage label via Paypal and print it out it's to late now but now I know if circumstances happen again at least I'm aware thanks again
Login to Me Too

FriendlyGiant
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, Wiser now but unfortunately for the first timer, he or she will never read this till they are in the same boat. As I have checked out the other shipping I receive and had the same thing go on, I noticed that Swooply has many emails , different names and company names attached to both purchases. so it is hard to know who to contact, if i fact you can find an email to give the company a blast as advised by one individual I spoke with. The thing there is the seller has the ability to remove any thread he or she doesn't like. SO this is a useless endeavor anyways.

Login to Me Too

FriendlyGiant
Contributor
Contributor

Happy New Year All

After seeing an advertisement on internet for Twisted Car (Christmas Offer| Gesture sensing Stunt Remote Control Car, I thought I would have a look. The controls where worn on hand and activated the car moving them forward back and side to side doing crazy stuff. I purchased the cars and paid for shipping from the Shaco Store according to the invoice -SKU: HX1900162KCCH, as I felt assured that the seller was reputable seeing that PayPal was attached as a payment method. The seller’s info from PayPal is Swopply Technology Co.,Ltd and in another place the name kassadin.store appears.

When the cars finally arrived, they were not even close to what was advertised. I contacted PayPal and launched a claim in the resolution center. Emails start back and forth with PayPal as the go between. The seller agreed to take back the items and I was instructed by PayPal to ship items back and get a tracking number and receipt for return shipment, the parcel needed to be back by a certain date approx. 15 days, the shipping out too longer than that. I tried using our account at work to ship with other services but I will only post Canada Post’s charges of $96.37, as they were the most reasonable. This amount to return items that cost $34.97. PayPal did offer to help out with return shipping with an offer of $30.00. Do the math? If I ship back the items and even get my money back, PayPal kicks in 30 bucks, it would still have cost me an additional $31.40 and I end up with nothing but heartache… HMMM…. now it is making sense. What a scam. Thinking about this if 10,000 people like me purchased these items and tried (stressed tried) to return them, most that have a brain would just forget about it and take the lost. I sent PayPal a message stating I was not going to provide a tracking number and someone from PayPal may want to call me about this. Long story short , I called them, went through how things went down between the seller and myself and was told that PayPal does not Vet (investigate) the seller that any scam artist can set up shop (not quite the language) there you have it this seller probably just made $349,700.00 for what likely cost the a quarter of that amount after looking at the items they sent instead of what was ordered., clear profit $262,275.00.  Thinking I may need to move to china and start up a business…. Don’t know what do you think.  Additionally, I made another purchase 3 or 4 days later, ☹ oH oH the same seller, when that item arrived, BINGO same thing not what was ordered, same run around, send item back, tracking number, by a certain date. Another call to the poor person at PayPal who patiently listening to me harp away, and try as they may cannot really do anything other than tag the issue and bring it to the attention of his/her superior. All to which I as the buyer will never be informed of what happens to the seller when things like this go on. BEWARE FRIENDS DON’T BUY FROM CHINA would be my suggestion.

As for PayPal, I fully understand that they have done all they can to return things to square one for me, I still feel the company has a lot to offer for sellers and buyers alike. I agree there is really nothing they can do about dishonest seller’s wishing to bait and switch items I hopes that buyer will not spend more good money to recoup bad. I do feel that PayPal could be more open with the PayPal community as a whole and publish what happens to wayward sellers that obviously don’t give a hoot about ethics. So, buyers like myself can check to see if a seller is legit or not before a purchase is made… Open to your thoughts.

Login to Me Too

MY-Canuck
Contributor
Contributor

@FriendlyGiant 

Have a look at this... 

There are so many restrictions as to what you can send back. Ultimately anything made in a China cannot be sent back unless you state that it’s for ‘repair’.

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGIntDestDetails-e.asp?table=tblCountry&txtLetter=CN

Try mailing airmail, express, with tracking.

Otherwise do a chargeback. I’m waiting for PayPal’s final resolution before I contact American Express.

Kudos appreciated..
Remember if anything seems to good to be true, chances are it is!
Login to Me Too

FriendlyGiant
Contributor
Contributor

I did check out various ways of shipping items back and even with a discount from my work account the pricing was crazy. Canada Post was the least costly method. Timing for the return of goods and having tracking number made the returning of goods not worth while in the long run, however I do understand why PayPal has to do this of course. One issue is, the crap the seller sent took 19 days to get here, I believe you should have the same amount of time to return the item, as this may lower the cost of shipping. The other Canada Post prices where $22.68, no tracking # and be to seller in 2 months (Slow Boat I guess) and for $45.00, again no tracking # it could be there in 3 weeks. The cost of $96.37 for shipping in a timely manner with a tracking number has pretty much cured me of buying anything from China in the future. Hopefully this will reach other before they make the same mistake.

Login to Me Too

GalwayDude
Contributor
Contributor

I was scammed by this crowd.   Purchased a PICQ projector, they advertised a hi-tech product and sent me a plastic magnifying glass.  

Looking at paypals methods to resolved this  (post it back to China and thay will cover 30euros of postage) , all I can say is the Paypay are facilitating these scammers and profiting off them.

Having also bought a remote control car with fancy hand control only to be sent a completely inferior product. That's twice in 2 months that scammers have used Paypal to scam me.

I'll be sticking to Amazon from now on.

Login to Me Too

Loey-May
Contributor
Contributor
I will not buy from anyoneveven in Aust unless l can do so thru Paypal. Obviously it doesn't help much when there is a dispute & l am shortly to list several. I have used Paypal since it started without a problem but the past 2 months l have accumulated upto 8 scams & found out too late. Hope Paypal can help me.
Login to Me Too

Chm3
Contributor
Contributor

I received a tiny crappy bag today complained to the Swopply and PayPal email and raised a PayPal dispute.

Totally sucked in by a slick Facebook video ad and website for a bag that solves my suit problems from Ozuko.

Question: Are my PayPal details safe with this group of con artists?

I have just paid £32 for one from Amazon Prime which will be delivered tomorrow.

Gutted.

I had a quick look around for their origin, it looks like a UK company on the face of it, but I found this don't know if it is the same company:

http://www.mycorporatedir.com/hongkong/swopply-technology-limited-2905356

Swopply Technology Limited's Hong Kong CR Number is 2905356. Incorporation Date is 24-DEC-2019. It's Winding up Mode is . Dissolution date is None. Swopply Technology Limited company is of Private company limited by shares Type.

The company would have been set up 2 days before I purchased. Very slick, very fast transition to Facebook leaving me VERY disappointed.

Login to Me Too

Brianp1958
Contributor
Contributor
After my ordeal with this company I have learnt that they seem to make a charge for there items of around 30 dollars which indicates to me that it's not worth Paypal pursuing a claim if they don't respond Paypal reimbursed me my initial cost but was left out of pocket because I was advised by paypal to return the goods before they would take it any further action I have my settings not to pay until delivered I think Paypal should have a suspend payment option until things are finalized at there end would save lots of costs and disappointment I have now started to ignore all advertising on Instagram and Facebook although I'm not on Facebook have asked others to warm people from now on I'm sticking with Amazon and eBay good look everyone spread the word on social media
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.