shipping returned goods to china

Thrasherg
New Community Member

Ladies & gentlemen, I recently purchased 3 different flying drones from China, all 3 have no resemblance to the item described by the seller. All 3 sellers have agreed to provide a full refund if I return the items. The items cost $60, $80 and $150 each, I took them to the post office and they want $70 to ship each parcel with a tracking number to China!! I cant believe the seller was able to ship them to the USA with a tracking number for less than $10, feel I am being ripped off by the post office, obviously there is no sense in shipping the first 2 products back if the shipping will cost more than the refund, even the most expensive item really doesn't make too much sense, it will be nice to get $80 back but I believe all 3 blatantly misled me and see no reason why I should be so out of pocket. I have asked paypal for their help, but they have been very quiet so far. Has anyone found a way to send parts back to china with a tracking number for a reasonable cost?

Thanks for all/any suggestions.

Login to Me Too
95 REPLIES 95

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@KJO314 

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

Paypal would not be able to check every individual seller / merchant / company in over 200 countries worldwide that adds paypal to their website to accept payments.

So they give you 'some' buyer protection but the onus is on you to risk assess your transactions.

They do stop bad companies from using Paypal when enough claims start rolling in.
However as they are in China (mostly) then its easy for them to just start over with a new name, so stopping them does not really do anything.

The best thing is to not buy from them in the first place, to recognise them -

1. No return address on the returns policy. The site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) but they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost often more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number. if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. Rarely company address information.
4. Great pictures of items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.
5. Fake reviews.
6. Google and you can often see previous company names as they change them once enough claims roll in and Paypal stop them using their services and start over.
7. Send fake tracking numbers to win item non receipt of item claims.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

outdone5
Contributor
Contributor

I wish I had done that. I learned a lesson. 

Login to Me Too

mjm452
Contributor
Contributor

Lesson learned !!! I payed almost 30.00 for for a hair iron, and they send me something completely different that I can get in my hometown for 5.00, flimsy and super cheap iron! Pay pal is asking me to ship it back to them , yea right I t will cost me more to ship it back , never again !!!  this company is all over the internet as doing the same thing to multiple customers, my fault for not checking before. I will try to get my refund through my credit card , very disappointed 

Login to Me Too

Ricky_Tang
Contributor
Contributor
I know this is an old post but for anyone reading this in the future.... China will not accept items marked made in China... Which means any items you want to return will not be accepted by customs. Get your refund and toss the item in the trash.. Here's the info below : https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGIntDestDetails-e.asp?table=tblCountry&txtLetter=CN Under "prohibited items" it says : In addition to items considered non-mailable matter, the following are prohibited: items marked "Made in ROC" (Republic of China). The label "Made in Taiwan" is acceptable.
Login to Me Too

MY-Canuck
Contributor
Contributor

@Ricky_Tang 

Thanks for the Canada Post link!

Basically anything made in China cannot be returned to China! And considering everything is made in China nowadays, they can send us their junk and nothing can be sent to them with the mountain of restrictions they are imposing.

Maybe we should send said items with tracking to the Chinese Embassy instead?

Kudos appreciated..
Remember if anything seems to good to be true, chances are it is!
Login to Me Too

SkunkBumper
Contributor
Contributor

I am somewhat more savy now after getting porked on $199.99 worth of American Eagle Coins. 

Besides being ugly, each had COPY where the date was supposed to be, none weighed what an Eagle should weigh, all coins had different weights, 21 coins were shipped in a bubble envelope in individual coin holders but loose and ragged looking when they arrived two months later.

I am forking over $61 for return.

I was advised to write " RETURNED CARGO " on exterior of package to clear customs tax charge.

**bleep** wanted $143

**bleep** $61

The timeline I was given did not allow time for a nationwide search for cheap transport into the beehive maze called China.

Lesson learned.  This is a dejavu of my childhood. Then it was a different country. At least that country was honorable and worked very hard to become a world leader in quality production that even the USA has trouble beating.  I will be long gone before this current slob makes good as a matter of personal honor and pride.

Login to Me Too

WantAnArmadillo
Contributor
Contributor
I know this is an old thread and I only found this thread because I’m thinking returning the products I bought to China. This specific rule actually didn’t prohibit anything made in China to be returned to China. ROC is the abbreviation for Taiwan not China (China is PRC). Again I know this is an old thread…
Login to Me Too

pamelaLI

I too, just fell victim to this situation.  I ordered shoes from a company on the internet (NO mention of them being a Chinese company).  They charged me $6.99 for shipping and the shipping label showed a Chino, CA address.  When trying to return the item, the shipper who advertised "30 day no hassle return policy with a full refund", emailed with several questions about why I wanted to return the item ("no hassle???"), then stated it needed to be returned to CHINA and that the international shipping cost would be more than the value of the shoes.  They suggested that I keep the shoes and give them to family or friends.  I opened a dispute with Paypal, showing the shipping label from CALIFORNIA (NOT CHINA).  They have emailed the shipper and they have given them 10 days to respond.  Since my payment with Paypal was linked to a credit card I am also disputing this charge with the credit card company.

Login to Me Too

Surina01
Contributor
Contributor
What was the resolution? Everyone keeps saying chargeback with credit card but they also want merchandise returned...
Login to Me Too

Unhappycamper3
Contributor
Contributor
Same experience. Paypal tells me I get a full refund when I ship it to China. PaypL has not stood by its guarantee
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.