scammed

LeonaStacey
Contributor
Contributor

How do I get my money back from a scam, that advertised an item but sent something totally different.? Now for me to return it for a refund it will cost me more than the item was worth. 

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

spyke555
Contributor
Contributor

In a similar situation here. I returned the product as instructed and items are on their way. Yet PalPal today decided to close the case, stating I did not provide tracking information... So now I am out both the amount for the product AND the return shipment.

So my recommendation is to propose an amount that you would be willing to keep the item for, and then sell the item for that price. Probably your best bet to getting your money back.

I personally did not mind spending extra to send the units back just so the scammers would not have my money. But PayPal dropped the ball and the scammers won...

So much for buyer protection.

Login to Me Too

LeonaStacey
Contributor
Contributor

That is terrible, I did not return the item as shipping was almost double the cost of the item I ordered. The item I received was worthless but I did get a message from PayPal that they are refunding my money, then another message said I failed to provide the tracking number so we will see if the refund shows up. I trusted PayPal to protect me but I see now that their policy is also a fraud. Not happy and will be removing my credit card info once I have allowed time for the refund with is supposed to be applied on Oct 2/2020

Login to Me Too

spyke555
Contributor
Contributor

Yup,

I am going to try and talk with a human as this is ridiculous... The scammer sent the wrong product, they likely sent false shipping address (can't find it on google maps) and in the end they get to keep my money. The chairs I bought were $170 and return shipping was $85, but I did not care as I just did not want the scammers to have my money. Turns out they know how to game the system and the joke's on us.

Next time I'll pay by credit card, and contest the charge right away if my card is billed before I get tracking information...

Login to Me Too

LeonaStacey
Contributor
Contributor

Did you file a complaint with complaint.ic3.gov/default.aspx?# this is where Paypal told me to make my complaint. 

Login to Me Too

spyke555
Contributor
Contributor

I've not yet managed to talk to a person at PayPal...

I'm from Canada so suspect that the government body I need to talk to will be different, but also hoping to not have to go there. But will if need be...

Login to Me Too

LeonaStacey
Contributor
Contributor

I am in Canada also, this is the link they gave me to dispute it. Now I have a message from PayPal saying that they are refunding my money on Oct 2nd...I will be watching for that credit!!

Login to Me Too

LeonaStacey
Contributor
Contributor

I have received my money back as Paypal has decided in my favor. I am pleased but still annoyed that Paypal does not stand behind their policy to protect the customer from fraudulent companies.  

Login to Me Too

LeonaStacey
Contributor
Contributor

I feel the same as you, its not the money its that principal. These companies are scammers and know how to play the system. I dont give up till there is absolutely no more resources left to fight with. These companies need to be stopped!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.