scam sellers

rubann
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased a drill and a generator from a fake DeWalt recondition website.  i paid with PayPal.  I did not receive the merchandise ordered instead, I received a small envelope with a sticker in it.  I filed and complaint with PayPal and they closed the case in the sellers favor because they provided a tracking number.  i can't believe it is this easy to scam paypal.  just set up a fake website, and just send fake merchandise to the buyers so that they can provide PayPal with a tracking number.  

PayPal didn't even investigate.  they just looked at the tracking number and closed my case.  they won't even reopen it after i sent proof/photo's of the envelope and contents.  the sellers has no contact info or email and the website is fake.  I can't believe PayPal would allow this and not even look into it.  

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rubann 

If you opened a dispute for non receipt of item then the seller would always win if they could provide trackable proof of delivery.

Why did you not open a dispute for item received but not as described OR change it to that before the dispute timed out?

If you funded your paypal payment via a card then contact your card issuer as they may do a chargeback for you? 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rubann 

If you opened a dispute for non receipt of item then the seller would always win if they could provide trackable proof of delivery.

Why did you not open a dispute for item received but not as described OR change it to that before the dispute timed out?

If you funded your paypal payment via a card then contact your card issuer as they may do a chargeback for you? 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

843dave1
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same situation, but again here is how they beat the advice given by PAYPAL about the dispute.  Initially, no item was received.  So the initial disoute was that the item never was sent.  Once the seller got notice of the disoute, they send the item which obvisouly isn;t what the buyer expects, but now the case is closed.  And in my situation i couldn't open another dispute for that item.  Tired twice and got errors and closed cases in my summary.  In my situation i got a hairband, not a sticker.

Login to Me Too

WV88
Contributor
Contributor

I, too, bought a set of DeWalt reconditioned tools for $99.99, from a fake website that was advertising on Yahoo.  Everything looked legitimate, but I did not receive confirmation of my purchase.  I emailed the address on the website but received no response.  After two weeks I notified PayPal that I had not received the tools and filed a dispute with them.  A few days later I received a small bubble envelope, about 4"x6", with a tiny set of smiley stickers (yes, I guess they were laughing at me), through the USPS with the tracking number on the outside of the envelope.  The tiny "package" came from City of Industry, CA.  I didn't have a clue why I received this package until a few days later when I received an email from PayPal saying they had reached out to the seller, YAFFUM, who provided them with the USPS tracking number that proved I received their package of tools.  Yes, it was the same tracking number for the package of smiley stickers.  PayPal accepted this SCAM as truth and cancelled my dispute.  You cannot appeal PayPal's decision and if you try to contact them via phone, its impossible.  PAYPAL IS NO HELP WHATSOVER!!  I have no recourse but to dispute the charge with Citi Bank and hope they do a better job of investigating YAFFUM, Master Scam Artist.  Did I mention I also contacted Yahoo about this SCAM and received the standard, no help reply?

Login to Me Too

hearnow1
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal should combine the two categories, so scam sellers are gaming the system, and the same thing happened to me.  It is almost as if Paypal is in league with the sellers, to scam their customers by not letting you change the category of your dispute.  I got some cloth masks rather than N95 masks, and the seller told me that it was for people who would have their money refunded.  Suddenly paypal closes the dispute.  Mine was on an item for $65.97, glad it wasn't a lot more, and yes I did get the credit back from my credit card, but this is such an obvious scam you would think that Paypal would want to put a stop to it. I feel bad for anyone that uses their paypal balance rather than a card, since paypal offers little real protection.  Seller always wins in my experience.  Buyer beware.

Login to Me Too

TabSplitter
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to purchase an item from a gaming site and during checkout I noticed something weird. The page went blank as soon as I supplied my PayPal login and entered my authentication key, even before I hit enter.  I couldn't move forward or backward, the navigation was just locked up with a solid white screen on the browser.  I was eventually returned to the merchant's website and saw that the item I was trying to purchase was still in my shopping cart.  So, I just decided to quit and I exited the site and quit my browser.  Thinking, at that moment, something was peculiar, and perhaps unsafe.

Shortly after I noticed an email from PayPal in my mailbox indicating a transaction had gone through, but no email confirmation directly from the seller in my inbox and no details of what my purchase was, only some cryptic item number.  Also, it showed the seller to be the name of some person, no company name, no description of what was ordered.  So it wasn't even clear that the transaction was related to the online experience I had an hour earlier.  I tried to contact he seller, by email and received no reply. I then went to the seller's contact page on their website and found their mailing address, phone number and email address all to be fake.  I then found that the PayPal transaction was for substantially more than the product I was looking at, and the transaction occured without authorization from me.  I was worried that I had been scammed and tried to cancel the transaction through PayPal's Resolution Center.  The seller replied with a fake tracking number that was not for a package being sent to my address.  According to the USPS, the tracking number was associated with a shipment that was delivered more than a week before the PayPal transaction was recorded.  It went to some other address in my town.  The specific address doesn't show up in the tracker, only the town/city, unless you are logged in and it is your address.  

PayPal voted in favor of the seller because they supplied a fake tracking number for an address other than mine.  I am shocked they rolled over so easily to a con artist.  I would have thought PayPal would have allowed me an opportunity to rebut, but they gave me no such courtesy.  I don't seem to have any recourse to reopen the case or comment on it, even if the product never arrives.  The money came from my cash balance, so no way to block payment.  Did I just get stiffed for $100.  Or, is there some way to get justice?   I am not even concerned so much about getting my money back, as I am about letting the scammers succeed.  

Login to Me Too

jai62
Contributor
Contributor

Is this the same?       <removed>  Southfield <removed>, Michigan, USA

Login to Me Too

TabSplitter
Contributor
Contributor

In my case they gave a Los Angeles address that appeared on a map to be in a location where there were no buildings.

Login to Me Too

jai62
Contributor
Contributor

<removed>, Southfield <removed>, Michigan, USA

Is this the sammers?

Login to Me Too

Angel1569
Contributor
Contributor

please help; Sign and share

change.org/FRAUDECHINOYPAYPAL1

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.