scam and paypal wont help

marzan69
New Community Member

Hi, I bought a fan following the link from facebook, the seller after the payment wa done, sent me a toy, nothing like the pictures on the add, I did the claim on paypal, but at the end paypal ask me to send the toy back to the seller to and china address, the shipping cost more that what I paid for it, and is impossible to send with that address (Chinese letters) So at the end Paypal reject my claim and give the money to the seller, I'm sure this happens to more people, so there is no protection buying with paypal. be careful when buying, Paypal is not going to protect you.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@marzan69 

Paypal buyer protection can never be a 100% coverall, so in the event of a dispute you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country.

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction .....
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/what-is-return-shipping-on-us-and-how-do-i-activate-it-fa...
You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

golden389
Contributor
Contributor

I recently ran into a similar type of issue.  I paid someone via PayPal to buy some concert tickets.  They told me i needed to send it via the "Friends" option so that the tickets would immediately transfer.  Well they never did transfer any tickets and they stopped responding to me.  Once I realized I was scammed I tried to request a refund on PayPal, but I couldn't because of how I paid.  Had I known there was a difference I would not have sent it that way.  I only used paypal because I thought I had protection.  I know I can't be the only person to come across this.  And as long as PayPal refuses to protect us, scammers will continue to get away with taking peoples money.  And it's only going to get worse once more of them figure out this loop hole.  PayPal either needs to change that policy or make it loud and clear where everyone knows we'll have no option to dispute the charge if paying via the friends option.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@golden389 

I think the clue is in the name.

Was he a family member = NO.

Was he a close friend or mate = NO.

Were you buying goods / services = YES.

So pretty easy to work out which one you should select isn't it?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

golden389
Contributor
Contributor

Ok Jack @kernowlass. Not everyone is as perfect as you.  I'm not stupid, I know who my friends are.  I did not know you couldn't request a refund if it was paid that way.  That is not mentioned.  That needs to change.  There are people out there who have been **bleep** over by a friend or family member.  So why can't there be an option for a refund?  The Customer Service guy said this policy should be changed because he had come across many customers that should be able to apply for a refund.  Don't even bother to reply.  I'm not interested in your sarcastic feedback.  

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@golden389 

Then if you didn't know the most sensible thing to do before you start to use paypal is to read the small section on buyer protection in paypals user agreement so you know what coverage you do and do not get and how you can pay safely.

You don't have to be perfect, you just have to use a tad of common sense and not blame others because you didn't bother.

Paypals buyer protection is not a 100% coverall and you have to READ it and then risk assess your own transactions and paying using the correct option is one of those risk assessments you should make.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.