returns to China

JohnHenderson
Contributor
Contributor

I have been trying to send information to PayPal regarding a watch I received from China. The company has sent the wrong item to hundreds of people. When they complain they receive the wrong watch  they offer a slight discount which is trivial in comparison to the cost of the watch. I have been in contact with Invicta the makers of the watch and the person I spoke to does not think this company supplies their watches and are probably counterfeit. 

Also when trying to return the item I was informed by the post office that watches are prohibited from being sent to china due to the technology they contain.

my questions are as follows.

How do I send an email address to PayPal with details of prohibited items as their link does not allow it?

Why should customers be liable for return costs when it was the company that has messed up?

If it is counterfeit goods should this company be blocked from trading on PayPal?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JohnHenderson 

Most items from China are fake and its not illegal in China to sell them..........
Chinese Web Sites or on Facebook easy to spot so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

HOWEVER you may still have the option to do a charge back if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card.
Also Paypal may contribute towards return costs IF you have activated the below link (if available in your country).
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/returns

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
23 REPLIES 23
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JohnHenderson 

Most items from China are fake and its not illegal in China to sell them..........
Chinese Web Sites or on Facebook easy to spot so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

HOWEVER you may still have the option to do a charge back if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card.
Also Paypal may contribute towards return costs IF you have activated the below link (if available in your country).
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/returns

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

JohnHenderson
Contributor
Contributor

When I ordered the item there was no way of telling where they were based. I reckon PayPal should make the company pay the return and a full refund. It seems I am not the only person who this is happening to just now. If you type Invictus Joker Watch into Facebook you will find the watches and other people who have been scammed and PayPal know about this yet do nothing. May be about time to email CEOs of this cowboy company <removed> for a start

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JohnHenderson 

Facebook does not vet sellers and is full of Chinese sellers.

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction .....
https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

ziggy2154
Contributor
Contributor

i agree pay pal should be and is 100% at fault because they know this is going on and do nothing about it.

it would cost me more money to ship back that equals more money lost.

i have been trying settle this issue both online and on the phone to no avail.

Login to Me Too

maldridge
Contributor
Contributor

This happened to me. I actually did the return of dresses back to China at $70. Due to Covid, they would only trace to Border.  PayPal denied my claim because I couldn’t go all the way to sellers address, yet they didn’t tell me that was needed. It wouldn’t have made a difference anyhow due to Covid and our post office. I’m so upset, I’m not going to use PayPal again. Nor any merchant in China if I can.  PayPal knows these cheap merchants are selling crap.

Login to Me Too

EZGOINIM
Contributor
Contributor
Sorry to hear... I myself have had all kinds of problems dealing with PayPal on items in resolution...seems to me that they side more with sellers... dropping their services as well after they settle or close two other cases I have!!!
Login to Me Too

maldridge
Contributor
Contributor
I agree. I noticed that the first reply under this title had some excellent information on how one can be extra careful in how to insure one isn’t ordering from China in the first place. They are so sneaky. I did not realize I was ordering from a Chinese company in the first place!
Login to Me Too

ItsHer
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever attempt to go through your bank?

Login to Me Too

maldridge
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for info. PayPal was of no help on my dispute with a Chinese company that I didn’t know was even one. Regai, I have now changed my way of payments to PayPal. Hopefully I will be more cautious in my dealings with China since I cannot trust PayPal to be.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.