refund that was not honored

helmsy1234
Contributor
Contributor

I have been having a lot of trouble with a seller who for the last two months has ducked and dived trying to avoid giving  a refund. constant lies and false info. Finally when told I would have to report him to ebay he offered a £10 refund to settle. Refund arrived into my account and surprise two days later it "bounced" can I get help from Paypal or do I have to go back to ebay who are closing this dispute today

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@helmsy1234 

First contact Ebay and state the refund did not clear and carry on with the Ebay dispute.

If that is closed or Ebay can't help you then you can open a Paypal dispute.

How do I open a dispute with a seller when a purchase goes wrong?

You can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre of your PayPal account within 180 days of payment if:
•You don’t receive the item
•You receive an item but it’s significantly different than the description on eBay or on the seller’s website

By opening a dispute, you can communicate directly with your seller to work out a problem transaction.

If you reach an agreement with the seller you can close the dispute. If you're still not happy with the result, you can escalate the dispute into a claim. We'll review the claim and decide on reimbursement.

These steps apply to Personal accounts. If you have a Business account, please log in to see the steps that apply to you.

To open a dispute:
1.Log in to your PayPal account.
2. Click on the transaction and use the resolve a problem option at the bottom of that details page.

Note:
•Generally buyers must wait at least 7 days from the date of payment to escalate a dispute for an item not received
•Where an item has not been received, please ensure you have given the seller enough time before opening a dispute

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/first-dispute

DO NOT CLOSE THE DISPUTE UNTIL YOU HAVE A CLEARED REFUND OR YOUR ITEM WHATEVER THE SELLER SAYS. ALSO DON'T FORGET TO ESCALATE THE DISPUTE TO A CLAIM WITHIN 20 DAYS IF THE SELLER DOES NOT REFUND.

If that does not work then if you funded your paypal payment via a card then contact your card issuer and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

helmsy1234
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much for your reply, but I can't find my way thro paypal to raise a dispute that my refund was cancelled, and the same applies to ebay. we just have a seller who is making a mockery of the system. Now a very important bit is the item sold was for a water sample taken from a water tank supplying houses to check for legionella bacteria and this seller also sells lab tests for other bacterial infections I worry that he may be giving false results which may have an impact on public health issues  I have tried to report this to ebay but they don't seem interested   I am at a loss

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@helmsy1234 

Phone customer services and explain the cheque refund bounced and ask them to open a claim for you?

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of paypals pages and use the phone option in the blue band at the top OR very bottom of page dependent on what country you are in. Scroll down past the list of help questions and click on 'Call us' bottom of that page. Log in and get the code.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

helmsy1234
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks every one for trying to help but paypal cant help because the refund is a money transaction, and ebay closed the dispute on 28th telling me to wait till 29th for the refund to clear even tho on 27th I knew the refund was cancelled but even though ebay said the dispute required my attention I could not write anything   So it seems that all the cleverness and protection of ebay and paypal is easily made a fool of be a very small dodgy trader

Login to Me Too

helmsy1234
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks all for the help. so far I tried to raise a dispute with ebay which went well till the refund bounced, then they kept asking me if I had received the payment but left me no way to say I hadn't The section that contained messages between me and the seller was cut short and I couldn't add anything to say I had not received the refund. Now better news, went back to paypal as suggested and raised a new case based on the sale, got a quick reply from customer services who have been in contact with the seller who, surprise surprise sent the refund the same way as before which will almost certainly bounce, but Paypal are expecting this and once it fails they will "force" the payment. Fingers crossed

Login to Me Too

helmsy1234
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the all the help. Raised a claim thro paypal as a transaction that was not honoured, and paypal accepted this and gave me a full refund. The important thing to note though is the seller got away with it.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.