recurring payment from a fraudulent seller

hwarangmalta
New Community Member

I have found out that I had a recurring payment from eBay.uk. First and foremost I don't think that you can have any recurring payment from eBay and secondly eBay.uk doesn't exist. I have sent an email to the the fictitious seller and as expected the email failed to reach the other end. I have opened a dispute with PayPal and replied that "we’ve determined there was no unauthorised use." Lately I had an item on eBay for which someone tried to purchase but no payment has been received and lately I have removed the item from the listing. Not sure if this could have anything to do with. I am attaching some screenshots.

Can someone please tell me if this ever happened to you?

Thanks.

Screenshot 2020-03-31 11.07.08.png

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@hwarangmalta 

Be sure to cancel the active recurring payment to prevent future charges:

Go to Account Settings (gear icon) > Payments > Manage Automatic Payments

Select merchant on left, click Cancel on the right.

Recurring payments, billing agreements, subscriptions are rather tricky to claim unauthorized because they are of "pre-authorized" nature. And if there was no evidence that the recurring payment was canceled and you were still billed, they will typically deny claim and the decision will have to get reviewed by customer service if something else happened such as this pre-authorization somehow glommed onto your account fraudulently. 

I suspect paypal's dispute system is run on algorithms set to certain general parameters/if a, then b (for example, if no evidence of recurring payment being canceled but yet still charged, or no evidence of unauthorized access) and rule accordingly and some cases doesn't fit in to that algorithm so it just denies it so a human has to review the case.

Please contact customer service for assistance if you can get through:

1. Log on.
  2. Click HELP at the top menu.
  3. Scroll down and click CONTACT US.
  4. Scroll down to click CALL US or other contact options.

Or contacting via social media:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter: @AskPayPal

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@hwarangmalta 

Be sure to cancel the active recurring payment to prevent future charges:

Go to Account Settings (gear icon) > Payments > Manage Automatic Payments

Select merchant on left, click Cancel on the right.

Recurring payments, billing agreements, subscriptions are rather tricky to claim unauthorized because they are of "pre-authorized" nature. And if there was no evidence that the recurring payment was canceled and you were still billed, they will typically deny claim and the decision will have to get reviewed by customer service if something else happened such as this pre-authorization somehow glommed onto your account fraudulently. 

I suspect paypal's dispute system is run on algorithms set to certain general parameters/if a, then b (for example, if no evidence of recurring payment being canceled but yet still charged, or no evidence of unauthorized access) and rule accordingly and some cases doesn't fit in to that algorithm so it just denies it so a human has to review the case.

Please contact customer service for assistance if you can get through:

1. Log on.
  2. Click HELP at the top menu.
  3. Scroll down and click CONTACT US.
  4. Scroll down to click CALL US or other contact options.

Or contacting via social media:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter: @AskPayPal

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

hwarangmalta
New Community Member

Hi,

Thanks very much for your prompt reply. I had already took the measure to stop this recurring payment. However I don' know how I can reach out PayPal about this. What kind of recurring payment might ever exist with eBay. 

Stephen

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.