"You can't use PayPay anymore" problem.

JoshS1232
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

I've been browsing the different comment sections that have gotten what seems to be the same problem but caused by different reasons. My problem, that seems widespread, is when people break the user's agreement and their account becomes unusable and the money in it frozen for 180 days then transferred to their bank account. I had this problem, but it was over a year ago and when I chatted with an employee the person said that they couldn't tell me why my account was frozen and that there was no one else I could talk to to figure out why my account was frozen. Since I didn't have much money and barely used PayPal, I forgot about it and let my remaining money be transferred to me 6 months later, never learning why my account was frozen.

Now that I've done some research, I think I know how I broke the user agreement: I wasn't 18 at the time and my account wasn't registered under my Mom. My mom was the one that told me to get at Paypal account when I was 16 so that she could easily transfer me some money at the time, but neither of us knew that I had to be 18 to have an account. To be honest this was over two years ago and the details are fuzzy, so I don't remember what I did to get an account when I wasn't 18 yet.

So my question is if there is a way to fix this, or was this a mistake that cannot be fixed no matter what? Also, was me not being 18 the reason why I can never use PayPal, or is there another reason and I'm just worsening my case? Why wasn't the employee able to tell me why my account was frozen at the time?

If I can never use PayPal again I won't throw a tantrum or anything but I would like to know why, so if you have any way to help me then I would be very grateful.

Thank you for listening,

Josh S, who is now 18 and trying to use PayPay in college

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JoshS1232 

Paypal does not allow account holders under the age of 18.
PayPal asks for a birth date when you register so whilst you can make a PayPal account with false information the account will need to be verified to accept funds into your balance or lift any limits.
As you would be unable to verify your account it would be locked for further use.
Minors can’t enter legal contracts so you won’t have any recourse to get your money back until you were 18.

Normally once someones paypal account is banned permanently then they can never use paypal again HOWEVER if the account was limited because you were under 18 then its the account and not you personally that are banned.

So now you are 18 you should be able to open a new paypal account BUT you won't be able to use that old email address OR any of the linked cards or bank accounts that were on that old account.

Your best bet is to contact customer services first and request that you be allowed to open a new account and your options as to using any info from the old account as only they would be able to release it for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

JoshS1232
Contributor
Contributor

Important Info!

I forgot to mention that my account was open for an entire year, and was closed two months before my 18th birthday and had a handful of transactions before my account was terminated. 

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JoshS1232 

Paypal does not allow account holders under the age of 18.
PayPal asks for a birth date when you register so whilst you can make a PayPal account with false information the account will need to be verified to accept funds into your balance or lift any limits.
As you would be unable to verify your account it would be locked for further use.
Minors can’t enter legal contracts so you won’t have any recourse to get your money back until you were 18.

Normally once someones paypal account is banned permanently then they can never use paypal again HOWEVER if the account was limited because you were under 18 then its the account and not you personally that are banned.

So now you are 18 you should be able to open a new paypal account BUT you won't be able to use that old email address OR any of the linked cards or bank accounts that were on that old account.

Your best bet is to contact customer services first and request that you be allowed to open a new account and your options as to using any info from the old account as only they would be able to release it for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.