"You can no longer use PayPal"

RyanLKeefe

Recently I received an email from PayPal telling me that I can no longer use PayPal and that PayPal has decided to permanently limit my account.  I've been given no explanation on why or how to fix it.  I called PayPal support this morning and the agent I spoke to said there's nothing he can do and that it's a security protocol thing and nothing can be done about it.  That really bothers me because I know I have no bad intentions and if any action I've taken is against PayPal's policy I'd appreciate being warned before permanently banned.  I would stop doing whatever it is PayPal doesn't like if they'd just tell me what it is.  Besides it couldn't have been anything too bad because if it was I would have known it was bad.  My feeling is that PayPal's automated system perceived what I did as very bad but for some reason they can't just have a person look into this for me and it's incredibly frustrating.  This agent even told me that he wouldn't advise me creating a new PayPal account....so what?  Just like that I can never use PayPal again?  I really wanted to use PayPal because it's a very convenient and popular service.  Someone, please help me.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@RyanLKeefe 

You're welcome. Happy to help. Some virtuals could work until it doesn't but some yes, PayPal has a total unknown problem with. My rule of thumb is if there is an error message, don't even go there and do an about face. lol Security is super tight these days and they will not hesitate to give you the ban hammer.

All the best,

Sharpie

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@RyanLKeefe 

Match up what you think you may have done that is related or to the letter restricted or prohibited by PayPal's Restricted Activities list and/or Acceptable Use policy. There can be literally hundreds to over a thousand "related" things that aren't listed. The policies can be found in the email you received from PayPal. If you want to go through the rabbit hole, I suggest opening a case with bbb.org under PayPal San Jose CA to get PayPal Office of Executive Escalations to review your account. It could also have been a misunderstanding or false positive made by their security system too.

Login to Me Too

RyanLKeefe

I can only think of one of 2 things.  I recently skimmed through the user agreement and there was mention of PayPal not wanting people keeping money in their PayPal account for too long.  I've left money sitting in there for a while but I can easily transfer it to one of my linked bank accounts if that's what they want.  The other thing has to do with one of my linked banks.  It's an Ally Bank account and whenever I'd try to send money to it PayPal would say something went wrong and to try again in a few minutes.  I called them up about that and the lady gave me a similar explanation that the guy I talked to recently did, saying that it's probably some automated security protocol thing and there's nothing that can be done but maybe it will work if I try later.  So I called Ally about it and they said it's on PayPal's end.  So I kept trying to send money to my Ally account to see if eventually whatever issue the security system was having would be resolved on its own.  Eventually, I was able to successfully send money to my Ally account but it was through doing it from my Ally account rather than from my PayPal account.  Maybe that overrode the security problem in a bad way but I wasn't thinking of it like that at the time.  I didn't understand why there should be any problem and based on what I was told it was just some mysterious operation that was mistaken but would eventually correct itself.  So I figured it had finally corrected itself.  I don't understand why PayPal can't look into these things better.  I try to reach out to them and ask questions but they just give me brick walls.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@RyanLKeefe 

You can keep money in your PayPal account, you just need to convert your PayPal balance to a PayPal Cash or PayPal Cash Plus balance in order to park funds in PayPal from now on. You'll have to provide some identification information such as name, address, DOB, and SSN when you receive a payment or sign up for a PayPal Cash card to update your PayPal balance to a PC or PPCP balance, if not you must claim your funds every time you receive some and withdraw it to your bank or associated debit card.

It could be that Ally bank. PayPal prefers traditional banks, ones with physical locations/branches. Perhaps some of these virtual banks can be trouble if a transaction needs to be traced and PayPal's not able to, not like traditional banks. Zord knows how these virtual banks are run tbh.

I still say that you reach out to PayPal through bbb.org and explain the whole thing and have them reconsider as you didn't know (well you did kinda but...) and say that you'll remove that bank...and will accept temporary holds on received funds for a while.

Yeah, you shouldn't have gone through "the back door way" to transfer the funds, that would do it.

All I can say is I sincerely wish you luck with trying to get PayPal to restore your account, it's all you can do, is try. PayPal reserves the right to sever ties and no longer provide services to you. Heck, maybe one day they'll invite you back. Never know.

Login to Me Too

RyanLKeefe

Thank you very much.  You've been very helpful and understanding.  I'll try the bbb.org route.  I hope that this time they will tell me if they have a problem with Ally rather than being vague about it.  If I had known that they strictly just don't want to work with Ally then I'd stop trying to transfer to them.  Strangely PayPal seemed to have no problem transferring money to my Chime bank account which is also an online bank with no physical location as far as I know.  I guess if they have a problem with Ally there must be a more technical reason behind it that I don't understand.

Login to Me Too
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@RyanLKeefe 

You're welcome. Happy to help. Some virtuals could work until it doesn't but some yes, PayPal has a total unknown problem with. My rule of thumb is if there is an error message, don't even go there and do an about face. lol Security is super tight these days and they will not hesitate to give you the ban hammer.

All the best,

Sharpie

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.