"PAYPAL SELLER PROTECTION" IS FALSE ADVERTISEMENT.

vaderlock
Contributor
Contributor

"You're covered"  "Merchant fraud prevention"  "an added layer of protection"  "Our encryption helps keep your online transactions heavily guarded"

Everything you see quoted up there is directly from PayPal's website and is a complete and utter lie. I have been using PayPal since last year. Mostly use PayPal for buying and selling clothes and shoes on Grailed. I actually have an amazing feedback of 5/5 on this website. On November 22nd of 2017, the PayPal user "Concepcion <removed>" purchased an item from my shop for $329. This said item was received by the user on December 1st of 2017 at the PayPal verified address that was provided on my end. Everything went well and the user also gave me 5/5 feedback for the transaction on the website. Fast forward to December 15th, I receive an email from PayPal saying that there was $329 pulled from my PayPal account and that the user of this transaction had filed a claim of  "unauthorized payment" with their financial institution a.k.a. their bank. I of course immediately called PayPal the next day thinking it was a mistake done on someones end but no...in reality, PayPal just let a scammer easily dip into my money and take the money and safely escape. This is what I mean when I say "false advertisement." I patiently waited for the past month or so, called PayPal customer service multiple times asking if there were any updates on this case, even though every time I called they gave me new information that was not given by the previous customer service representative, I had let that slide too since they all had me assured that I will be winning this case no doubt and will get my money back and to stay put and not worry. I believed that, I honestly fell for that. I have all sorts of proof that will show that I deserve the money that was taken and they had no authority to do any of this, I have everything down to the receipt that was given to my by USPS for shipping the item. Not surprisingly, I received an email an hour ago by PayPal letting me know that they are useless and they can do nothing at all and will let this scammer take my money and be free. The scammer's financial institution sided with them and I am here left with neither my $300(they refunded me the $29 in one of the previous calls since it was a dispute fee and the representative believed I was gonna win this case anyway so he just sent me the $29) or my item. For some odd reason they have no control over the money that was in my PayPal account, I do not believe that. PayPal will most likely delete this post since I am calling them out, or maybe just sit aside and do nothing since they are so good at that. I am honestly disgusted by all of this and will not be using PayPal until this is resolved. 

P.S. if anyone lives in the Kerman, California area, let me know so we can find this scammer and get my $300. 

Login to Me Too
27 REPLIES 27

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
Selling digital goods and/or services is indeed a real problem with stuff like this. Unfortunately, it's not just PayPal. All of the payment processors act very similarly.

If you can't prove delivery with tracking from a shipping carrier then they basically consider it a non-delivered order, and they will side with the buyer nearly every single time.

I've seen this with PayPal, Stripe, Square, PayLeap, Group ISO, Authorize.net, and more.

I have seen where somebody wins a case like this, but there wasn't any rhyme or reason as to why.

One thing you could try is having your buyers sign an agreement prior to beginning the work. Then you would least have a contractual agreement that you could sue based on if necessary.

Not ideal, which is why some buyers take advantage of it.

I've been thinking about a blockchain delivery system for digital goods / services that would prove the buyer received what they paid for, but this would take massive cooperation from major corporations like banks and credit card processors. Not something I'm able to take on within my small company.

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

Algo20

Angelleye quit posting already. Nobody is interested in reading your garbage, you are just a PayPal **bleep**

Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

I've worked with many payment processors.  They all treat this the same way.  That's all I've been saying.  Call it whatever you want, but I have not stated any facts that can be refuted.  

Don't bite off your nose to spite your face.

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

hstate

I am having the same issue. A buyer has a chargeback through their bank and PayPal has taken the funds from my account, so I do not have the $575 or the item that was sold. The buyer has not disputed the item and has not communicated with either Ebay or me, the seller. The item was sent to the specified address on the PayPal transaction page and the address is 'verified'. Tracking shows the item was received.

So, I have complied with all the terms of the PayPal Seller Protection Policy. The item is AS Described! So why has PayPal not covered me under their own policy. Unfortunately they no longer have a phone number, so I cannot talk to them. Messaging has only produced an 'under review' response.

So, the buyer has stolen my goods and gotten them for free and PayPal is doing nothing visible about it.

Hstate 4 May 2020

Login to Me Too

temp20200611a
New Community Member

same here.. buyer paid 2188 nzd and then 300 nzd a week later for second payment of aem display gauge. Item sent with sign for tracking, all proof sent to paypal and next minute customer got refund and they got the goods! This was about a week a go. **bleep** PayPal I called them they cant disclose customer (fraudster) bank,  or nothing. Cant do anything but file a police report which ive done.!

Login to Me Too

chappie92k
Am here to tell “ Dont use PayPal if you’re a seller”. Their Customer Service is rubbish. Everytime new CSR. I banged my head for months. I canceled so many orders after they gave money to scammer and didn’t provide me any seller protection. I lost so much money. I can’t even tell you. If i was a lawyer, i could have filed a lawsuit against them. They morons are just sitting in between seller and buyer just to rip their money. Am with eBay and unfortunately they don’t have any other payment methods for international orders. I probably sell only domestic rather then accepting payments through these blood sucking parasites. If you still accepting money through them then keep doing but just remember if someday some scammers hits you then they will show you how pathetic they are because they have no control over money. If bank says no then they can’t do anything and my friends, they won’t give you seller protection because that’s something that will comes from their pocket.
Login to Me Too

private-Seller
Contributor
Contributor
Bitcoin fixes this problem. There is the lightning network which does instant transaction and for almost free. It won’t be too long before simple solutions are available to this method of payment within the bitcoin/crypto space.
Login to Me Too

Temp20220701B
Paypal does not protect the you. I just got scammed as well. I sent buyer item. He said it wasn't item as advertised. They had him return it. Guess what...he returns the bix with 2 mortar bricks and screws. I lost $900 Paypal still citied with him after I sent pictures and all. Unbelievable. All and all. Paypal does not protect sellers. Scammers got sellers by the balls. We loose
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.