"Bait & Switch" Grey Market dealers operating through PayPal. Why is this being allowed?

LMosbacker
Contributor
Contributor

I have recently been the victim of fraud being ran through their system. Park Avenue Photo, www.parkavephoto.com, www.willoughbys.com, www.parkavecameras.com, www.fenwayphoto.com is behind the scam. I contacted PayPal before the crooks have had an opportunity to ship the item, and explained I have tried phoning and emailing the company numerous times requesting to cancel the order after they told me they are shipping me a used product instead of the new one I ordered, valued at $795, but the company will not respond or answer my calls. I also told them I have reported Park Avenue Photo to FBI's Cyber Crime Division, ic3.gov, BBB, NY Attorney General, and reported them for violations of PayPal's acceptable use policy. I showed them multiple sources of complaints against the company and gave many details proving that they are con artists and have been running this scheme through their site for over a year. I also informed them the company uses a fake address and it is very likely I would not be able to return it if they do ship it. It seems they should cancel the transaction when they have been alerted of fraud but instead PayPal would only agree to escalate the claim giving the seller more time, another 10 days to ship the item, when I have requested them and the seller to cancel the transaction. Case ID: PP-D-83159949

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

LMosbacker
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal just closed the case in my favor. I guess they did look into the information I sent them. I hope Park Avenue Photo gets shut down. 🙂

Here is another agency the complaint can be sent to, Department of State, Division of Consumer Protection:  https://www.dos.ny.gov/consumerprotection/form/ComplaintForm1.asp

It is for New York Specifically. I will update this thread if I find any more resources for filing consumer complaints.

All I can say if this happens to you keep very detailed records of everything that has happened and file complaints with as many agencies as possible and take screen shots before and after clicking the submit button. Also contact PayPal immediately you are aware fraud has taken place and provide them with all of the information you have. 

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

This is just another example of how PP seems to help scammers get away with their schemes. It's as if they pre-planned the scheme with the scammers.

I would report PP to the ic3 and AG as well.

Login to Me Too

LMosbacker
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much for the advice, that did not cross my mind, I will do that as well. I no longer feel safe using PayPal.

Login to Me Too

LMosbacker
Contributor
Contributor

I also just found out you can file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission, ftc.gov for anyone else experiencing this.

Login to Me Too
Solved

LMosbacker
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal just closed the case in my favor. I guess they did look into the information I sent them. I hope Park Avenue Photo gets shut down. 🙂

Here is another agency the complaint can be sent to, Department of State, Division of Consumer Protection:  https://www.dos.ny.gov/consumerprotection/form/ComplaintForm1.asp

It is for New York Specifically. I will update this thread if I find any more resources for filing consumer complaints.

All I can say if this happens to you keep very detailed records of everything that has happened and file complaints with as many agencies as possible and take screen shots before and after clicking the submit button. Also contact PayPal immediately you are aware fraud has taken place and provide them with all of the information you have. 

Login to Me Too

LMosbacker
Contributor
Contributor

This is a good place to start for finding agencies that will help you with your consumer complaints, https://www.usa.gov/state-consumer

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.