paypal siding with scammer

lblife19
New Community Member

Hi all,

So I got scammed and paid for an item I never received: never got an email and the website even said error when I made the purchase.  Why is Paypal siding with the seller when they deliberately took my money?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lblife19 

You can't open 2 disputes at the same time, if you opened a dispute for unauthorised then you were saying your paypal account was hacked and used without your consent to make that transaction. Paypal would check IP addresses and if they saw you did make the transaction then it would be closed.

If you opened one for non receipt then you would have probably won if the seller could not provide trackable proof of delivery.

However you only get that option if you sent via goods / services as there is no buyer protection for friends / family.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lblife19 

Which dispute did you open?

Did you escalate to a claim?

What did paypal say?

How did you fund that paypal payment?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

lblife19
New Community Member

I opened an item not received claim and an unauthorized activity one.  I escalated and they said "After having reviewed all the details, and based on the information we have to date, we have to deny your case. This decision was made because our records show that this transaction was processed correctly." 

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lblife19 

You can't open 2 disputes at the same time, if you opened a dispute for unauthorised then you were saying your paypal account was hacked and used without your consent to make that transaction. Paypal would check IP addresses and if they saw you did make the transaction then it would be closed.

If you opened one for non receipt then you would have probably won if the seller could not provide trackable proof of delivery.

However you only get that option if you sent via goods / services as there is no buyer protection for friends / family.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

lblife19
New Community Member

Thank you for the clarification.  The thing is I made the purchase via a website with a checkout and everything and did not see the email confirmation so does that mean that because it was down via a website they must so proof of tracking?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.