paypal balance and paypal credit are two separate accounts?

Mari41
New Community Member

I had a transaction dispute on my paypal credit account for $176.01 and paypal credit issued me a refund for the disputed amount.  I then resolved the issue and paypal reversed the $176.01 refund from the paypal credit account.  That should of been the end of it, right?  However, I got a notification that my "Paypal Balance" has a negative amount of $176.01 and that I needed to pay it.  Well, I paid $2000.00 to the paypal credit account and brought the balance on that account down to $80.00.  I dont understand why I am being charged $176.01 from the "paypal balance" which I never even used!  It seems that there are two separate accounts - one is paypal balance and the other is paypal credit.   i have made phone calls and messaging ( to people in India which were of NO HELP) and nobody knows how to resolve this.   There was an error made to my paypal account and I am having a difficult time getting anyone to help!  Does Synchrony Bank take care of both paypal credit and paypal balance?? 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mari41 

When you dispute with PayPal Credit, they probably issue a provisional credit to your PayPal account while they deal with the dispute. Pending the outcome, PayPal deducts the provisional credit back if you were refunded in the dispute by the other party, if ruled in your favor. If you lost or resolved the dispute then you need to pay the provisional credit back if you took the money.

I believe this is kinda what happened. You can call customer service to confirm though:

Log on, click HELP on top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US or other contact options.

Call early, during business hours, west coast time to try to get a US rep. 

Or contact via social media:

Facebook (US): https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter (US): @AskPayPal 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.