payment to fake site

Brhoden
Contributor
Contributor

Hi i was daft enough to use Paypal to purchase a gift for someone through WIZARD WISHES.  Once paid i tried to email seller to get order confirmation/estimated delivery date and a tracking number.

All emails were returned as not deliverable.  

I then went to Facebook page and tried to contact via a message to vendor.  I got an automated generalised response that did not address my questions.

I tried to raise a dispute and alert Paypal through resolution centre that the site was a scam and using the good name and reputation of Paypal to scam money from people.

Paypal have chosen not to deal with the issue telling me i can raise a dispute in May 2019!!!

I then went back to the vendor site and messaged that it was a scam and fake site.  They have now blocked me and on trying to send message via Facebook page i received message to say -no one available.

The worst thing to me is that i only ordered because I believed in Paypals reputation and security and thought that they only handled genuine vendors.

I no longer feel it is a safe option for payments and will be reluctant to use again.  Why do Paypal allow fake sites to use their platform to entice and lure people into sending money for goods that are never going to come!! this was a birthday present and raising a dispute in May 2019 is of no help to me:(

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Brhoden

Paypal are just a payment processor that gives you 'some' buyer and 'some' seller protection, the rest is up to you to risk assess your transactions.

Cheap 'bargains' / websites with no real contact numbers or addresses just an email address / usually shipped from China are normally scams.

However if you had paid with a credit card and not paypal would you be asking why the credit card company does business with them??

>>>

How do I open a dispute with a seller when a purchase goes wrong?

You can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre of your PayPal account within 180 days of payment if:
•You don’t receive the item
•You receive an item but it’s significantly different than the description on eBay or on the seller’s website

By opening a dispute, you can communicate directly with your seller to work out a problem transaction.

If you reach an agreement with the seller you can close the dispute. If you're still not happy with the result, you can escalate the dispute into a claim. We'll review the claim and decide on reimbursement.

These steps apply to Personal accounts. If you have a Business account, please log in to see the steps that apply to you.

To open a dispute:
1.Log in to your PayPal account.
2.Near the bottom of the page, under 'More about your account', click Resolve a problem in our Resolution Centre.
3.Click Dispute a Transaction.
4.Select the button beside the transaction you want to dispute, then click Continue.
5.Select ‘Item dispute’, click Continue and follow the on-screen instructions.

Note:
•Generally buyers must wait at least 7 days from the date of payment to escalate a dispute for an item not received
•Where an item has not been received, please ensure you have given the seller enough time before opening a dispute

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/first-dispute

DO NOT CLOSE THE DISPUTE UNTIL YOU HAVE A CLEARED REFUND OR YOUR ITEM WHATEVER THE SELLER SAYS. ALSO DON'T FORGET TO ESCALATE THE DISPUTE TO A CLAIM WITHIN 20 DAYS IF THE SELLER DOES NOT REFUND.

If that does not work then if you funded your paypal payment via a card then contact your card issuer and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Brhoden
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, no i totally get it 

it is my own fault but i have done a lot of online shopping and always use paypal as i thought it was a safe option

if i had paid with a credit card at least i could have got my money back

thanks anyway

Login to Me Too

Manny171
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@Brhoden

sorry I laughed when I read your statement ☺

were you shopping on facebook?

did you find the ad on facebook?

where did you find this place?

did you get a email confirmation upon payment?

did you check your Paypal Balance to make sure the payment was placed?

Paypal can only take you seriously if you can show (PROOF OF PAYMENT)

let me know so I can maybe Help you with what I can. ☺

Login to Me Too

Brhoden
Contributor
Contributor

Hi its ok i would laugh too if it wasnt me!!  feeling very daft.

yes it was a facebook link that was sent by a known relative and i followed the link and placed order

no i did not get confirmation about receiving the order although i got an order number

i got no tracking information

and yes paypal made the payment:(

i have now - just 5 minutes ago received an email saying my goods are on the way in 3-8 weeks!! long enough for 

any dispute NOT to be opened

I do feel a **bleep** and should have known better but i shop a lot using paypal and have never had any problems

thank you for responding anyway - even if you are laughing:)

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Brhoden

suggest you keep that info as you may need to know how to open a dispute for 'item received but not as described' when your item does turn up...if it does.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Brhoden
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you - lesson learnt

Login to Me Too

Manny171
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@Brhoden

You should beat up that relative today do it  for me!! 😂

you should always do what I do & always question of the Distance/country

I do think all the time when I shop on Ebay or anywhere that accepts paypal?

always think of the country/distance your getting it from always always always!! 😉

the most I will wait for a package? is 2 weeks if I really need that Item I'm a very patient

person I'm never in no rush but I always look forward to getting things in 1 week so I look for the 

closes seller/state at lease in my nation. 

when you get your item? I hope you will be happy with it. 

& yes take this as a lesson learn big time.

have a happy thanksgiving when it comes & let me know how your item went

when it arrives. sorry your relative gave you bad karma

now go beat him or her up you will feel much better 😂

I never buy anything on facebook in fact I don't even trust facebook not even my

friends that are on facebook when I see them in person? I trust them but not on facebook LOL 😂

Login to Me Too

SherryY
Contributor
Contributor

This happened to me as well and I use PayPal because they are supposed to be a safe way to purchase online.  I think they do have a responsibility to provide their services to vendors that are real.  They advertise themselves as a safe way to buy online.  Sellers pay to use PayPal.  PayPal makes money on the fake purchases.  I opened a dispute when I realized my item was not going to arrive.  They looked into it and denied my claim.  The reason?  They got tracking information from the vendor showing I had received the item.  It took me about five seconds, online with google, to find out the "tracking" system they used to prove they had delivered the item was a fake system created by scam artists.  If I can do that why can't they.  Essentially, Paypal has become a front for fraudulent sellers in China.  They profit from it and don't do anything to weed out the those vendors.  I've tried unsuccessfully to actually speak with someone from PayPal to discuss this and they make it impossible.  Up until now I have used them with total success and confidence.  I may never use them again.  I want to warn everyone how the scam is now working and that you can't depend on PayPal to help you out.

Login to Me Too

Goodfaith
Contributor
Contributor

I completely agree.  PayPal is a disgrace.  I have had a similar experience and the way PayPal has acted is disgusting.  My credit card company thankfully has been wonderful.  Highlighting what a joke PayPal is.  They know full well that they provide a platform for illegal activity yet do NOTHING to correct it.  It sums up much of what is wrong with the world. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.