nintendo switch pre-approved fraud

hjscmh
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

I have struggled and struggled to try and find a contact phone number where i can actually speak to someone but in the current climate it appears impossible!

Today I was hit with a £180 loss of funds due to having my nintendo account hacked, and purchases made on the worst game imaginable, Fortnite.

3 purchases were made, 2 for £79.99 and 1 for £19.99. I was notified instantly via email with a "thank you for your purchase" email at which point i immidiately removed all my cards connected to paypal, changed my password for nintendo and removed any links to it. I know two of the purchases were made in Russia and one in Germany as it states as much in my nintendo account and on the email, which leads me to think this was done via a VPN so no chance in tracing them.

I flagged them immidiately to the resolution centre but within hours they hit back with " we found that the reported transactions were not unauthorised and therefore aren't eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection."

What the hell is this protection for if it isn't going to look after me in a crisis like this?! I can't contact anyone at paypal as all their phones just cut off, and my bank can't do anything as it is done through paypal!

I am not interested in "how to remove pre-approved payments" as it's not even on the pre-approved payments list!

Is there no way for me to get this money back now? I am currently out of work due to this dumb virus so things are stretched as it is!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Sharzie
New Community Member
I have had over £1000 worth of pre-approved payments sent to Nintendo. I do not check this e-mail account regularly and these payments were taken over a 2 week period so I did not spot the e-mails. I believed that PayPal was secure and that I needed to input my password for all transactions. Somehow the transactions with Nintendo were made automatically and this would of been only by mistake and something I don’t recollect doing. My son has accumulated this amount over 73 transactions, none of which was it clear to him that he was being charged for these transactions. He has always had to come and get my permission to buy anything and it’s not given that often. It’s very difficult to actually speak to someone but surely this type of situation is unacceptable. I hope someone at PayPal sees this and understands that this is not acceptable. Young children will keep making the same mistakes as my son.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.