new? scam using pay-pal red tape from china

woodyfire
Contributor
Contributor
in response to this dispute i have been directed to return the shipped item to the seller. this scammer has sent his name and address in Chinese scribbles which he knows i can not translate into English to mail. I explained the scam to a pay pal Representative over the phone who reopened the case. now no one answers the phone. I need help stopping this scammer from taking the money thru your red tape. if something is not done to correct this I will contact my credit card company and proceed this way and cancel my pay-pal account which I have had for years!just to repeat the story. The scam started with me ordering a cobblers sewing machine. nothing came. I started a dispute then a small plastic toy came in an envelope with tracking. thus proof of shipping something even thou worthless.claim closed. i called and the claim was reopened now I am directed to send the junk back and the address is in Chinese chicken scratch which of course I cant use to send anything so the scammer wins again
Ps I sent photos to you of the worthless junk I was sent.
hello is anybody there? you can call me on the phone
at the end of the day I am getting frustrated to the point of contacting my credit card company to dispute the charges you apparently will not and will close my pay-pal account!
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@woodyfire 

Google translate the address and Google Map it. Then compare the Chinese language mapped version to the English mapped version to see if they are the same. Leave the name of person/company in Chinese if possible when buying postage label. You can also make your own address label of both Chinese & English ship-to address to put on the package in addition to the USPS postage label if buying/printing postage online. Take a pic of the addressed side of the package, just in case.

I do this with Japanese addresses I get from buyers. Stemmed from a habit of verifying all addresses before I ship. Translate and map it to see if they are the same and use English version, no biggie. Then put both addresses on the box, use English version of address on USPS postage.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@woodyfire 

Google translate the address and Google Map it. Then compare the Chinese language mapped version to the English mapped version to see if they are the same. Leave the name of person/company in Chinese if possible when buying postage label. You can also make your own address label of both Chinese & English ship-to address to put on the package in addition to the USPS postage label if buying/printing postage online. Take a pic of the addressed side of the package, just in case.

I do this with Japanese addresses I get from buyers. Stemmed from a habit of verifying all addresses before I ship. Translate and map it to see if they are the same and use English version, no biggie. Then put both addresses on the box, use English version of address on USPS postage.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

woodyfire
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks but I am not willing to jump thru the hoops set by the scammer to return his worthless shipment confirmation even if I can translate. If pay-pal cant figure this out then I go to my credit card and dispute the charge and I am out and pay-pal can eat it. I hate to do it but pay-pal was a convenience now its not and they are not protecting anyone making it easy for these low lifes.

Login to Me Too

woodyfire
Contributor
Contributor

Who said this is solved there was no solution to the scamm!

Login to Me Too

GGPeggy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thank you for the tips.  Although I feel I should not be shipping a box of plastic junk instead of the SWAN pet water fountain.  UPS is saying the zip code provided by seller via PAYPAL is not valid.  

I am seeing that these companies are also providing wrong addresses so they can claim they never received back and then we are out even more.

Since I can't get anyone from PAYPAL on the phone to help...what are my other options?

Login to Me Too

woodyfire
Contributor
Contributor

yeah they took the phone number off the site claiming staffing issues. You can try the on line chat all you will get at first is the automated clown then it will ask if you want an agent and eventually someone will chime in.You can tell the agent and they will explain they get it but I have found out differently.All they do is ----     well nothing no help.I even asked a supervisor to call me which they did and the state of my claim is the same waiting on response from me to the scammer regarding return shipping information and on responding it says oops something went wrong on our end and sends a email to me that the seller has responded with the information i gave. the last email from pay-pal was for me to file a police report which I did on the international site they recommended and attempted to send them a copy again no response. 

I have emailed the president and vice president of pay-pal telling this story no response.

I hope you used a credit card and can dispute the charge I did and am in the process. good luck Pay-Pal is siding with the scammers and make it easy for them!

Login to Me Too

GGPeggy
Contributor
Contributor

@woodyfire I did get through on Chat but they were not much more help.

They did tell me PayPal "may" refund the return shipping.  AFTER I ship the package back I can submit the receipt at 

"You may be eligible for a refund of your return shipping costs up to $30 by going to www.paypal.com/returns and activating the Return Shipping On Us program".                I have not looked into if I would "qualify".....

I have them now confirming the address, as UPS showed the city and zip "seller" provided did not match.    I know that is part 2 of the scam.  They then claim they did not receive the item back and still refuse refund.

My credit card company is not involved.  I wanted to start the claim with them, as I am not holding my breath with PayPal.

Login to Me Too

woodyfire
Contributor
Contributor

I would start the credit card process.All that pay-pal does is their standard process of steps which have been used by the scammer to work their scam. The people at pay-pal have no common sense or authority to do anything to solve the problem and their system just loops the information into a mindless loop.Maybe eventually if enough people deny the charges at the credit card company they will take notice.Man am I glade I never linked a bank account or took a pay-pal credit account like they always are asking.Good luck  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.