<removed> Paypal scam ,<removed>

Jammill404
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Can anyone help me or direct me to someone who will take this issue seriously.

On the 27th October 2018 a order when through on <removed> ( 3 x £50 PSN cards). I was totally unaware of this up until the 31st October where paypal sent me email saying they payed for the items since i did not have the funds to cover it. I log into paypal immediately and see my balance in the -XX. I contacted paypal regarding this issue for an unauthorised purchase, they got back to me saying it is all legit that they checked the IP and closed it in the merchants favour. I am 100% sure no one used my account as i am the only one to use it, i have not clicked on any phishing links, i always check the email id to see it it is being masked. I contacted them again and said they can try the "item not received approach". which they did. And again they say that <removed>had sent the item. I did not check this earlier but <removed> did indeed send an email. If you know how <removed>works is that they send you a link which directs you to a section of their site where you can write/redeem the code. so i click the link and it redirects me to my account order history. Note i do have an <removed> account and i was able to check the order history and on there it clearly says order CANCELLED, you can view it further and it also says REFUNDED. i have clear proof (screenshot of this). I also have proof that the link redirects me to my account history. I have contacted them 3 times with no response it has been over a week. Paypal is now pressuring me to cough up the payment. i have also contacted <removed> and am awaiting for a response, since that is where the payment went. Please does anyone know what i can do? Any help would be appreciated thanks. 

Login to Me Too
35 REPLIES 35

bobin01
Contributor
Contributor

Same has happened to me on 3rd June 2020 CD keys again I wonder if it's the same company doing this scam fair play to PayPal they refunded me straight away but the point is how are they getting our details and from where? This has been going on for at least two years so how are PayPal still falling for this scam so a warning to everyone keep an eye on your account I do now at least twice a day.

Login to Me Too

Eddieber
Contributor
Contributor
Happened to me today! 2 transactions. Apparently, right after the purchase they access the email and delete the mail. I was able to notice only thanks to the phone notifications I received for the purchases. Changed my passwords for both services, waiting for the resolution reply.
Login to Me Too

Sam0056
Contributor
Contributor
Good luck with me I couldn't convince them and I had to pay it. Until they step up there security I decided to disable PayPal and haven't used it for over a year.
Login to Me Too

LinuxEngi
New Community Member

Still happening!

Exact thing happened just today; someone purchased a Google Play giftcard on CDKeys using Express Checkout. 

Thankfully I was able to dispute the charge and was refunded on PayPal, I just want to know where/how they were able to do so without any authentication. I added MFA to my PayPal, can't believe I didn't have it to begin with, but even then Express Checkout is able to be utilized without prompting for it. 

To me it seems like someone is able to get the auth-cookie for Express Checkout and is using that for purchases. PayPal just needs to lock down cross-site/originating host cookie transactions. 

Login to Me Too

Sam0056
Contributor
Contributor

you must be very careful it happened to me about 3 times over a period of a few months and then the 4th time they refused to believe me and wouldnt refund the money. I dont know how  they did this to buy a game through cd keys but i noticed the email for purchase was in my trash folder and had gone directly there. Good luck if you decide to carry on with Paypal but you must keep a very close eye on things. As for me i simply do not trust paypal security at all anymore. If these purchases continue to happen they will refuse to believe at some point then you lose your money.

Login to Me Too

MattMbCart

Happend to me and Paypal went in favor of CDKeys. I have been on the phone with paypal for about 2 hours. Apparently CDKeys have sent proof too but I have non in my email. Im pretty sure a 7 month old baby doesn't know how to use a mobile and get to Cdkeys and pay but also use my thumb print while were all sleeping!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.