is 163.com address a scam?

barbc49
Contributor
Contributor
  • Last week I placed an order and paid using PayPal, the order never returned to the order page to complete the transaction. The address on the resulting invoice ends in <removed>. Have emailed the seller several times, no response.  I am concerned that this is a scam.
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Temp20230525GL
Contributor
Contributor
File claim and dispute the charge. Even if they have a proof of delivery. They sent a piece of mail instead of the stand I ordered. USPS had the delivery receipt but how you could put a 40 lb. Box in a mail box is interesting. They refunded every penny

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
191 REPLIES 191

kc666
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah me too -- the website I found was: <removed>

It's a pretty sophisticated operation. First, they plant a tracking cookie to follow you around while you search online. They capture information about a big ticket product you've search for and post an image of that product along with meta data (descriptions, specs., ect.) on a product page of a fake online store-- and offer that product at a fraction of actual retail cost. The contact information posted on that fake store uses random legit US addresses and phone numbers. The phone number will always be busy, the result of also having been hacked, stolen from one of the cellular carriers. 

The missing piece is how they get the newly created fake product page ranked so that you easily find it at the top subsequent google searches. 

I know this sounds almost too elaborate to be true, maybe you're wondering why would a hacker go to such lengths for each individual theft. The reality is, this is all automated, it's done programmatically. Using sophisticated cookie and site scraping technology, these dynamic fake product pages can be spun up instantaneously without literally lifting a finger. 

Login to Me Too

PistachioSorbet
Contributor
Contributor
I've had problems with them as well, but PayPal claims they are legitimate and has refused to offer me a refund. I can't believe they would allow this on their platform and then not accept responsibility.
Login to Me Too

Billyioinaire
Contributor
Contributor

Aw, man!  Seriously?!!  There goes $80.  I just now placed the dispute.  So, PayPal is going to say the charge were valid?!!

I see the first poster here posted in early April with several other customers reporting the same issue since.  Why would PayPal say the charges are valid when it's a verified known scam??

I'm not getting my $80 back, am I?

ho hum, fraudsters suck

Login to Me Too

teia2
Contributor
Contributor

I think they are a scam. I placed a dispute and PayPal closed the case saying it is valid. The reason I bought from this web is cause I have a compromised immune system and need a N95 mask. I was hesitating to buy from them but since PayPal was involved, I thought it would be a safe one. I lost$65. 

Login to Me Too

Same happened to me...i never received my order, said it was DELIVERED. And i never RECEIVE it...And i ordered because the same i seen PayPal and felt it was safe,that they would back me up.Wrong i put in a dispute and they are denying my case and though it out...$99 dollar's. I so unhappy.
Login to Me Too

bsyovat
Contributor
Contributor
I received what I ordered except it was damaged and not the quality they advertised. I ended up getting my refund through my credit card but it was not easy. This company is such a scam they disputed my claim and offered me a $3 refund! I will never use PayPal again
Login to Me Too

Dena1313
Contributor
Contributor

They are terrible!! Total fraud.  Advertised & my order summery stated stained glass panel & I was sent a piece of plastic with a decal, poorly applied. I tried 4 times thru emails to get a refund, telling them I wouldn’t want it for free. They just kept offering discounts. Every email from them said, “Do Not contact PayPal as it will be detrimental to both of us.”  I contacted PayPal & got a full refund.  They were great!

Login to Me Too

Martie209
Contributor
Contributor
This so-called seller, scammer, kept sending me fake tracking numbers. One of the tracking numbers was for package I actually got from Amazon, although Amazon doesn't use tracking numbers. My case was closed, I called because I have tons of proof, but I had to go to the post office and get an intranet form, showing that the tracking number they submitted to PayPal, went to my city and state, but not to my address. Once I called and told some rap I have the form, the case was reopened and I was issued my refund immediately. I took a picture of the form and sent it to them. Now it's up to them to go after the scammer.
Login to Me Too

Mlittle615

Same exact thing happened to me. Correct city and state but used the wrong street address to buy time and look legitimate.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.