is 163.com address a scam?

barbc49
Contributor
Contributor
  • Last week I placed an order and paid using PayPal, the order never returned to the order page to complete the transaction. The address on the resulting invoice ends in <removed>. Have emailed the seller several times, no response.  I am concerned that this is a scam.
Login to Me Too
191 REPLIES 191

Corbyearl
How do you appeal? I've been ripped off too somehow PayPal thinks you can ship a four hundred pound crate with the post office
Login to Me Too

Chzyrider
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I believe it is. I would expect with enough similar complaints that any 163.com email would be blocked from using PayPal. Shopping through Google search, I had ordered a replacement swimming pool pump since ours was failing. I got a normal UPS tracking number through PayPal notice, checked it randomly and all seemed fine. Then I got a notice that the package was damaged and discarded by UPS. I call UPS to ask a live person about letting me inspect the item in case it's still functioning, and two reps both told me the package was actually 'rubbing alcohol' and the bottles had leaked thus soaking the box. One guy in a loud facility, mentioned something about coming through Amazon, but nothing shown my Amazon account. UPS notified the seller, but no known reply at this point. PayPal wants to give benefit of doubt to seller by saying they'll watch the UPS tracking for 10 days looking for any further movement in the system. Uhm, they were just told and confirmed that the product was not correct, plus damaged and discarded by the shipper. But apparently I still have to wait 10 days for their dispute decision with or without seller's reply.
So.. out of desperation to find a pump for my wife to still use the pool this summer, I thought I found another on a website with US contact info. All was fine and looking normal for a checkout cart, until the PayPal receipt popped up with being paid to a 163.com email address. I'm thinking; Oh crap, here we go again. So I instantly notified PayPal of the suspected scammer with screenshots of the purchase process and how it switched within PayPal. I now see a notice of shipment, but no tracking number of course before PayPal is responding to this 2nd issue with 163.com sources.

Login to Me Too

Chzyrider
Contributor
Contributor

Stand your ground and insist on full refund if the product ordered never arrives especially without any tracking, or if not as described. I finally got full refunds applied. 

Login to Me Too

Billyioinaire
Contributor
Contributor

Lo and behold, I finally received my purchase today and surprisingly, it’s exactly what I ordered. I received an email from the seller a couple days ago with a tracking number. It only tracks to when it drops it off at USPS. They provided a new contact email for customer service but PayPal won’t allow me to post it here. But if you put the following all into one email address you’ll have it: <removed>

Login to Me Too

Rightson1
Contributor
Contributor
163.com scam, paypal needs to protect its community. They get on through cookies on your phone and don't haxe to do anything but collect the money paypal sends them.
Login to Me Too

MrsNance
What email plz?
Login to Me Too

furious12
Contributor
Contributor

I am embarrassed that I fell for it too. And when I did not get an order confirmation or email, I immediately tried to cancel the payment. But PayPal had already sent????? Really???? I filed a dispute and the "seller" responded to PayPal (the weird 163 email address) with a tracking number that showed they delivered the product. Except the shipping address wasn't mine, and the delivery time was EXACTLY the time that I placed the order, so it seems they have a creative way with USPS too. And PayPal can't see this? PayPal closed the dispute and I've tried multiple times to refile, but the "case" closes as soon as I hit submit. I've messaged PayPal, which seems to be the only way to contact them, and continue waiting for someone to respond. Apparently they let any fly by night associate with the platform.  Knowing that others have complained, and PayPal won't do anything, makes me even more furious.  Needless to say, I will be canceling my PayPal account as well as Venmo. Education I suppose, but it's a shame.  Shop local. 

Login to Me Too

furious12
Contributor
Contributor

I received a refund from PayPal.  Don't give up, hold their feet to the fire and maybe they will improve - or fold.

Login to Me Too

PistachioSorbet
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks - I finally got my appeal approved as well. It was not a straightforward process, and I plan to be a lot more careful about what I use PayPal for in the future.

Login to Me Too

jennett7
Contributor
Contributor
How did you do it? What specifically did you do? Cuz so many others have been denied.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.