i got charged 6 times for nothing

elthofely
Contributor
Contributor

i need my money back, i don't know how to get it back. today i checked out from adidas.com using paypal, then i got a message about a error, all of a sudden i got a message saying transaction to adidas using paypal

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@elthofely 

Did you try to buy it only once, even with the error message and the charge went through six times?

Sometimes it could be a bad/slow wifi connection at that moment in time so some thing wonky or incomplete with the data goes through that could result in glitches in various combinations; showing error message but the transactions still go through or, like you say, the transaction goes through multiple times with error message; or you trying to buy multiple times and get error message each time, and ended up creating an authorization for each time, or the authorization part goes through but the merchant didn't receive an order to capture payment, etc. Your merchant should only be able to capture one payment or none, but if all of them were captured, then you'd open a dispute through the PayPal transactions listed in your PayPal account activity to report billing error or contact your financial institution.

Generally when you make an order with a merchant, a pending temporary authorization listing appears in your PayPal account activity and your funding source where applicable and the funds are put on hold pending merchant capturing the payment. Merchants have up to 30 days to capture payments or the authorization will expire and drop off from the customer's PayPal account or funding source and the funds released. And again, should more than one of those authorizations are converted to completed charges, report it to PayPal and/or your financial institution depending on where they appear completed. They can't be disputed when in pending authorization status since they expire on their own.

Furthermore check with the merchant to see if they've received your order and how many authorizations could they see to capture payment and let them know about the # of authorizations you see on your side.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@elthofely 

Did you try to buy it only once, even with the error message and the charge went through six times?

Sometimes it could be a bad/slow wifi connection at that moment in time so some thing wonky or incomplete with the data goes through that could result in glitches in various combinations; showing error message but the transactions still go through or, like you say, the transaction goes through multiple times with error message; or you trying to buy multiple times and get error message each time, and ended up creating an authorization for each time, or the authorization part goes through but the merchant didn't receive an order to capture payment, etc. Your merchant should only be able to capture one payment or none, but if all of them were captured, then you'd open a dispute through the PayPal transactions listed in your PayPal account activity to report billing error or contact your financial institution.

Generally when you make an order with a merchant, a pending temporary authorization listing appears in your PayPal account activity and your funding source where applicable and the funds are put on hold pending merchant capturing the payment. Merchants have up to 30 days to capture payments or the authorization will expire and drop off from the customer's PayPal account or funding source and the funds released. And again, should more than one of those authorizations are converted to completed charges, report it to PayPal and/or your financial institution depending on where they appear completed. They can't be disputed when in pending authorization status since they expire on their own.

Furthermore check with the merchant to see if they've received your order and how many authorizations could they see to capture payment and let them know about the # of authorizations you see on your side.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.