hi, please help

carloscoelho
Contributor
Contributor

I received a product that I did not order. the seller wants me to pay for postage to return which costs more than the stupid product. PayPal has done some automatic reply nonsense and expects me to do that. I cant escalate the problem until i show proof of logistics, I don't want this. i want my refund, they fooled me. i sent photos to prove it , i feel the company knew what to do and i cant fix it. 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@carloscoelho 

In the event of a dispute you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country because....

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ3544 (or equivalent one in your country if they offer it there).

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@carloscoelho 

In the event of a dispute you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country because....

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ3544 (or equivalent one in your country if they offer it there).

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

carloscoelho
Contributor
Contributor
Ok. Well if I've been scammed by the seller, and PayPal can do nothing about it, what is the purpose of buying through PayPal?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@carloscoelho 

The point is that with Paypal you don't have to keep imputting card numbers etc when you pay and Paypal keep your funding sources confidential.

They are a payment processor, they give you 'some' buyer and 'some' seller protection, read up on it and then you can risk assess your transactions.

Even credit cards and banks have terms and conditions.

Paypal can and often does bail you out but its not an insurance policy or 100% cover for everything. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

carloscoelho
Contributor
Contributor

no problem. in other words, we pay PayPal so we don't have to put numbers in when purchasing?, wow. what a great service. i dont think people really know that that is all it is about . My bad for not reading all the fine print . i am sure if our "funding sources" are compromised then there will be fine print to cover that too?  Thank you for your time. I was conned , I am upset about it, and i can not just leave it like this. I know there is nothing i can do now. I will remove myself from PayPal, and let people know about the fine print in the meantime.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@carloscoelho 

No, because buyers don't pay anything do they???

And if you are a seller and pay a fee then you would pay a fee if you accepted direct card payments anyway.

But whether you use paypal or not is meaningless to me as it affects me not one jot.

The fact you didn't read the SHORT section on buyer protection which is NOT in fine print and then bought presumably from one of these scam China web sites or Social Media ads is hardly Paypals issue.

But by all means use a card next time, and the when you have imputted all the numbers / expiry code / 3 digit number on the back and then get scammed you may well find that they turn you down as well as others have been finding due to their 'fine print'.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.