has anybody been scammed and did not get protected?

hcuello
Contributor
Contributor

I had 2 cases lately and I believe I got scammed.

In the first, I filed a case after ordering from "***" website and not receiving the item. PP paid a person at a private email so it didn't make sense.

I emailed ***and the email of the scammer but received no answers. I opened a case with PP but received no satisfaction.

I just had the almost exact same thing happen when ordering from "***". I noticed that PP paid to a private email. I tried contacting both with no luck. I suspect that this is another scam.

Has anybody dealt with these 2 sites?

I always assume the if the sires are using PP logo n their website and if they somehow arranged payment that they would be vetted by PP.

I understand that sellers do not provide a revenue stream to PP but what will happen when enough people gets scammed and quit using the service.

I have been using PP for many years and this is a recent development.

I liked the pay after receiving which was done away with but I know that sellers probably lobbied against it but again--benefits scammers.

Post edited by Moderator to comply with Community guidelines.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

PayPal_Martina
Administrator
Administrator

Hi hcuello,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community!

I am sorry to hear about this inconvenience. From what you mentioned it sounds like you may have completed the purchases by sending money as a personal payment and not as 'Goods and Service'. When this happens, the payments are not covered under our Buyer Protection policy for Item Not Received and Item Significantly Not As Described as this type of transactions is created to share money between friends and family and not to complete a purchase.

In general, we would always suggest making a payment as 'Goods and Services' in order to be covered in case the item is not delivered or if it arrives not as described. You can find additional information on our Buyer Protection here

I hope this helps!

Martina

Login to Me Too

hcuello
Contributor
Contributor

I assume that when I get on a seemly legit website and it has paypal option, that it is coming from that company.

In both cases I chose pay with PP because I assumed that they signed up and were vetted. In both cases, the payment showed up as being made to a personal email. 

Not sure if it shows up as that before I OK payment. If scammers have figured out a way to hijack websites and the PP system by substituting their acct for seller account then I would think that PP would like to be aware of this. 

The 2 sites this happened on were: *** and ***. Neither of which responded to my emails.

I also blame Google for allowing them to show up at top of searches but that's another issue.

Maybe these are not even real sites but they do have PP option listed.I know you wont give me the names of the people who signed up for PP using these emails.

I feel that PP should make a change and show a screen that says "Are you sure you want to send money to XXXXX? This may not be a authorized receipient." a simple solution and if it happens I will gladly give up my 200$ loss if it helps others.

For the sake of openness, I am currently writing an article--using only facts as I know them-and warning people that they are not protected by scammers using PP. 

I think I would have thought twice if I saw this.

I would expected PP would have veted the 2 people that the money was sent  to and determine if they are scammers or legit people receiving money.

Post edited by Moderator to comply with Community guidelines.

Login to Me Too

hcuello
Contributor
Contributor

I would like to add that this is a security issue as the scammers have my name, email and physical address since they were supposed to mail something.. I hope nothing ever happens to anybody sucked in by these scams. PP may not be in the business of physically protecting their users but withholding scammer info is not treating us the same--I would like to be able to report and file a case with police. 

Login to Me Too

ChammyBeeD
New Community Member
Yes, yes, yes and not much protection like I thought there would be!! I used PP for that reason!! I'm so disappointed!! Why do I have to pay to shop the product back when it was far from what was described??!! I should be given a free shipping label! I have the pics as proof that this is definitely a SCAM!! WARNING: Do not order 100% Virgin wigs from ZG Technology, Limited because you will be disappointed!!!!!!!!!!!!
Login to Me Too

dlauryn
New Community Member

I paid 39.49 dollars for a wig and ask for the color Dark Brown, when it finally arrived is was red. 

I open a dispute and send numerous email and no response. PP close the case and said I was not able 

to reopen the dispute. 

Well I do have a wig It is Red. LOL!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.