gumtree scam

geecee
Contributor
Contributor

beware buyers who want your car without seeing it.

supposedly wheelchair bound & deaf !!!

i`ve had texts from   a "rachfergie"  &  "fifilewis"...

beware of these two!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@geecee

Scams been going for years and is all over this forum and the internet if you do a search, glad you were not caught out.

The scam is that they send you a spoof email that looks as if it was from paypal saying the buyer had paid but before its released you have to pay the shipping courier via western union or moneygram.

They don't want your item / car etc they just want that payment and you never see the funds in your balance.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
24 REPLIES 24
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@geecee

Scams been going for years and is all over this forum and the internet if you do a search, glad you were not caught out.

The scam is that they send you a spoof email that looks as if it was from paypal saying the buyer had paid but before its released you have to pay the shipping courier via western union or moneygram.

They don't want your item / car etc they just want that payment and you never see the funds in your balance.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Clairer007
New Community Member

I've just had the deaf in a wheelchair email wanting to but my fitted kitchen. Came from Suzy <removed> gmail complete with a stock photo of a grey haired elderly lady in a wheelchair!

Login to Me Too

sarahlh2o
Contributor
Contributor

Me too! Deaf and in a wheelchair hahaha - she wanted my paypal details. Suzy <removed> yeah

Login to Me Too

Jmck1
That is genius - the effort they went to!
Login to Me Too

domt123

Me too, "Jennifer [removed]" wanted my bike for her son, but she was deaf and in a wheelchair. Exactly the same scam. I asked her for an address so I could package up the bike. She asked me for my Paypal details. (not a chance!) I asked her again for an address. No reply. These people are so low.

Login to Me Too

Eszkoo
Contributor
Contributor
I got the same email from two different email addresses I dont even replied but be careful with theese people the first email came from Melissa annie and the other one is from our good old friend Jennifer Annie.
Login to Me Too

CharlesBio

Same here, the guy said deaf and in a wheelchair.... he wanted my surfboard. hahah. Epic.

Login to Me Too

david1414
Contributor
Contributor

Buyers beware of this: 

<removed>

Thanks for your response,

I want you to consider this a deal as i am willing to pay your full asking price! i actually want to buy it for a family member who is urgently in need of it, i have checked through your posting and i'm fully satisfied with it. 
Unfortunately, i would not be able to come personally to view/collect, i work offshore as an instructor on a oil rig so i don't have time at all, but like i said i am 100% OK with the advert.

However, i have a reliable courier that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money via PayPal as that is the only means of payment available to me at the moment. I would also appreciate if you could remove the advert asap.

To start off with, please get back to me with suitable collection time so that i can inform the courier agent about it now.
TOTALLY A SCAM 
Login to Me Too

I received an email almost identical. I have unfortunately given them my bank account details and my PayPal account details. I am not sure what to do about it now
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.