fraudulent seller, now I'm stuck

Bill6464
Contributor
Contributor

I was scammed by a seller who has since taken down his website.  I ordered a bicycle for $89.75.  I received a notice from PayPal that the seller had updated delivery info with a USPS tracking number.  The tracking number says it was delivered on June 17.  It was not.  I opened a case through the resolution center and escalated it to a claim after a couple of days.   Obviously, the seller did not respond to the claim. It was rejected by Paypal, I assume on the basis that the tracking number shows it as delivered, but they did not give an explanation as to why it was rejected.

I contacted USPS and they told me the item on the tracking number was delivered, but to a different address than mine and the item was 14 oz or less (obviously not a bicycle).  Unfortunately they will not give me the address to which it was actually delivered.  I asked for something in writing from the USPS saying the item was not delivered to me, but I don't think they are going to do that.  I filed a police report and am in the process of filing a mail fraud claim with USPS.

I tried to resubmit the claim to PayPal, but I keep getting the message "can't file this type of claim for this transaction", I assume because it was rejected before.  I tried calling PayPal, and after successfully managing through their voice prompts, I got a recorded message saying because of Covid-19 their call center is closed.  This in itself is disturbing, but I won't go there.  I did receive an e-mail from a no-reply email address at PayPal saying thanks forcalling, but if you have a problem file a case with the resolution center.  

I filed a "stop payment" with the credit card, and they are currently researching it, but I suspect it will be denied when PayPal feeds back to them that the item was delivered.

So, I seem to be stuck.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.  And, yes,  I already know that I am stupid and I should have been more careful and checked the credentials of the seller before ordering.  Mea culpa.  I thought I was protected by ordering through PayPal.  I was naïve in that assumption.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bill6464 

APPEAL

To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper/courier (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment or that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address.
When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click Contact at the bottom of the page, however that may not be an option at the moment due to covid), or via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

You also have the option to contact your card issuer if you funded your paypal payment that way and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Rich

Hi @Bill6464,

I'm sorry to hear that you've had a negative experience with a transaction and the resulting dispute. From reviewing your message, it appears that no further appeals will be available through PayPal. The reason for that being that once a chargeback has been submitted by your card issuer, the claims process is no longer under PayPal's control. 

However, your card issuer will reach out to PayPal for any relevant information regarding their investigation.

In the future, you may request an appeal for your claim with in 10 days of the case being closed in your Resolution Center or by using the Contact option at the bottom of the PayPal website. 

- PayPal_Rich

As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters always point in the right direction.
- Irish Proverb
Login to Me Too

Bill6464
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal_Rich,

Thank you for the response.  I have submitted to my credit card company for resolution specifically because I have no way of getting additional info to PayPal.  You suggest I use the Resolution Center.  I've tried that several times.  There is no way for me to appeal a claim once it has been denied through Resolution Center.  If you know of a way, please enlighten me.  When I try it I just get a message indicating that my claim has already been denied.

So I tried contacting PayPal customer service by phone.  When I call the customer service number and it eventually tries to connect me with a person, I get a recorded message saying Customer Service call site is shut down due to Covid-19, then hangs up.  Really PayPal??  You have to be making money hand over fist in the midst of this pandemic due to the huge increase in online ordering, yet you can't figure out how to get your call center up and running after over 3 months?  Many, many other companies have gotten their call centers operational.  Shame.

Finally, I tried Facebook Messenger.  When I send them a message asking for help in appealing, I just get a bunch of canned responses from a robot.  I have not heard anything back from a human.  I do not have a twitter account, but I suppose I can create one if you think I'll have better luck that way.

So there you go.  If you have additional ideas to try, I'm all ears.

Login to Me Too

Luminosity825
Contributor
Contributor

I feel your pain.

Rip off websites submitting fake tracking info.

Have your postmaster do an advanced tracking search to prove your point with lazy **bleep** PayPal customer service.

I have had a dispute refused twice even after I provided proof that the tracking number submitted by the seller was fake and not relavent to my attempted purchase, in which I received nothing !

Paypal allowing their logo on these sites makes them complicit!!!

Login to Me Too

Bill6464
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, L. 

I did get a document from USPS showing that it was delivered to a different address and that it was only 14 ounces (obviously not a bicycle).  But now I have no way of getting it to PayPal (see my response above to PayPal_Rich.  Sigh.....  I've sent the document to Visa.  Hopefully they will be able to resolve it and get me a refund.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.