fake tracking number

shaz73
New Community Member

hi i wonder if anyone has had a fake tracking number given an although i told paypal the number given by the chinese seller was fake they stil found in the sellers favour, and they have closed the case!! im at a loss as of what to do next

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@shaz73 

Please see what you can do about getting official documentation from your courier that the tracking info is fake and then go to the Resolution Center or call customer service to appeal the case:

Log on, click HELP on top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US or other contact options.

Or contact via social media:

Facebook (UK): https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK

Twitter (UK): @paypalUK 

Facebook (US): https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter (US): @AskPayPal 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
35 REPLIES 35
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@shaz73 

Please see what you can do about getting official documentation from your courier that the tracking info is fake and then go to the Resolution Center or call customer service to appeal the case:

Log on, click HELP on top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US or other contact options.

Or contact via social media:

Facebook (UK): https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK

Twitter (UK): @paypalUK 

Facebook (US): https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter (US): @AskPayPal 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

codemite1
New Community Member

This seems to be spreading. I am currently now in a dispute where a Chinese vendor has applied a tracking number from someone else's address, (not mine).  I called UPS they said they can't reveal this information because it's not my tracking. I'm stuck in a catch 22. I can't get the address it was shipped to. All they could tell me was that it was an Amazon purchase. My transaction was NOT with Amazon. So, I'm currently stuck being ripped off and PayPal is taking the Vendors side.

Login to Me Too

Jamieddashp
Contributor
Contributor
This is also happening to me. The tracking number shows that the item was delivered two days before I made the purchase. I called UPS and they said that the package was NOT delivered to my address but they would not tell me anything else. PayPal ruled in favor of the seller because a tracking number was provided at all. I am out $233. Can someone please help me? PayPal is not answering the phone. The people in the message center are an able to handle a dispute. This is clearly fried. PayPal is not helping me at all!
Login to Me Too

lightningx2
Contributor
Contributor
The same happened to me. Without a document from the shipping company in my case UPS PayPal isn't going to do anything for you. They are incompetent at doing their job. Shipping companies cannot give you someone else's address. I don't understand why they can't submit a document without the other address. It's pretty lame that you are totally **bleep** by these scammers and a huge company like PayPal won't help you. The only solution is to do is call your credit card or bank. Explain to them what happened and why you can't get a refund and they will credit you and charge back PayPal. I was told by my credit card company that PayPal doesn't usually dispute your credit card company. I still feel victimized but as long as I don't have to pay I'll take it as a win even though it makes me so damn angry. Good luck.
Login to Me Too

TrixZanny
The same is currently happening to me. PayPal seems to side with the scammers EVERY time. With Visa, MasterCard or American Express you don’t have this problem. They value you as a customer and say they’ll credit you and they do. I can’t believe I have to do this much work for $39. I have called several times and used the message center. I even have the package. I ordered a picnic table and they sent me a jump rope so they could give PayPal a tracking number.) Dispute this, Paypal wants me to get a letter from the USPS. Really PayPal? So much work for a small dispute. I guess they just figure you’ll get tired and frustrated and drop it altogether. I thought PayPal would be more sophisticated about scams at this point, but I guess I was wrong.
Login to Me Too

shermanator2
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal is complicit in this fraud.  They make money on it as long as you never get a refund.  With me all they would do is stonewall by asking for documentation from the USPS that they knew well was not obtainable.  They made up names of documents that did not exist. I made 3 trips to the post office and provided PayPal with scans of the shipping labels showing definitively that this was fraud.  I went around and around with PayPal and they just keep repeating the same demands that they knew well were impossible to fulfill.  In the end I reported it as fraud to Visa and got a refund.  PayPall was no help at all, in fact they were a hinderance in exposing the fraud.  It would not surprise me at all if this fraud is committed by employees inside of PayPal that understand how PayPal deals with this sort of fraud.  I will never trust PayPal again and will only use them for Ebay purchases where I can trust Ebay to properly handle fraud if it happens.

Login to Me Too

brian200001
Contributor
Contributor

I AGREE 100 PCT. 

We the consumer are UNABLE to obtain detailed information other than a confirmation that it was already delivered on a previous date but "not to your address"  In MY CASE, the tracking number showed the status of shipment DELIVERED but 5 days BEFORE MY PAYPAL PURCHASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO ANYBODY IN THE WORLD THAT CARES AT ALL would quickly understand that the tracking number provided by the seller was FRADULANT.

So the support people just kept reading my chat complaint and saying "oh its a valid tracking number, we will give the merchant 30 dats to respond"  

!!!!!!   WHY WAIT??? WHY let the merchant continue to steal from a thousand more customers??????

WHY NOT SHUT THEM DOWN - AND REFUND MY MONEY ASAP!!!!

I WILL NEVER EVER EVER USE PAYPAL AGAIN for a transaction with an independent online merchant.  NEVER

Login to Me Too

YakkaYakka

I thought I had some sort of protection using this service and I was wrong. The fraudsters have gamed the dispute system and are profiting: Paypal is allowing this to happen with weak protocols and profiting as well.

Impressive the effort the "sellers" have taken to set up temporary Shopify websites, hire automated customer support, fake tracking numbers. It's a pretty simple yet elaborate scheme.

Enjoy your yacht! I hope it sinks.

Login to Me Too

SherryY
Contributor
Contributor

I did everything i could do with PayPal, explained it was a well known fraudulent tracking company, sent numerous emails and messages.  A total waste of time.  The fact PayPal accepts their "proof" with no follow up makes them complicit.  I went to my credit card company and got my money back, i recommend you do the same.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.