fake tracking number scam

K1QAR
Contributor
Contributor

Had a fake tracking # scammer.  (earlier question)

His mistake was to do it several times in a few days.   Unlike Paypal, Ebay honored the refund request.

BTW, the "solution" to the earlier question misses the point.  This was apparently a "phantom" shipment

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

Mikie60
Contributor
Contributor

Happened to me as well. Merchant issued me 4 different bogus tracking numbers that ended up having nothing to do with my order. Paypal has refused to honor my complaint because the merchant "claimed" to have a tracking number verifying delivery, even though the delivery never happened. The merchant stopped communicating with me after my second complaint, and I provided Paypal with all the info and documents to support my case, but they denied me anyway based on the scamming merchants false claims.

Login to Me Too

AAk6
Contributor
Contributor
Currently happening to me, in the process of a dispute/claim. I have made a post on it. Seller sent a parcel roughly 6 miles away from me addressed to a random person. Royal Mail confirmed with me over the phone that the tracking provided by this scammer isn’t addressed to me at all. Not sure how PayPal can swing the case in the scammers favour but if they do that is one bad loophole which means anyone can get scammed at any time, there is no protection, all the scammers need to do is send an empty packet tracked to somewhere nearby your address and get away with it scot free. Doesn’t make any sense at all.
Login to Me Too

Mikie60
Contributor
Contributor
That's exactly what happened to me. The scammer told Paypal that he had a tracking number that showed delivered and paypal didn't ask for any proof. They just took his word for it. And it seems that since paypal collects their fees from the shipper, they won't rule disputes against them, even in this instance. Good luck getting your money from paypal. I'm pretty sure that I'll be closing my account with them. They certainly don't favor the buyer in legitimate disputes.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@K1QAR 

Yes and when you appeal and get the info from the delivery company that it was a fake phantom number you would get a refund on appeal as i cited in my reply to you on your other post.

Plenty of others have done so and got refunds having shown the tracking was fake.

But glad ebay refunded you, their buyer protection policies are totally different to paypals however you only have 30 days with ebay but paypal give you 180.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Mikie60
Contributor
Contributor

You were correct, my friend. My first attempt at appeal was via the Paypal website. After denial, I decided to try calling instead. After a minor two minute wait, the phone was answered and I stated my case. The rep stated that SHE would contact Fed Ex regarding the tracking number being false and I would get a decision within 48 hours. Lo and behold, 2 days later they refunded my money. Guess I was a bit hasty to condemn Paypal. However, they should not have denied my claim via the website without taking the same action they took because of my phone call. Seems like an unnecessary step, but it's all good now.

Login to Me Too

AAk6
Contributor
Contributor
My claim was denied, even though I provided an email response from Royal Mail, they confirmed the package was sent to another address. Now I’ve called PayPal up and they’ve escalated it again as an appeal but as I had no additional evidence they didn’t know what to do but escalated it again anyway. I have evidence confirming that it wasn’t delivered to me from the postal company and I feel as if they haven’t looked into any of the evidence I sent. Scammers gotten away with it Scot free. Now I’m just waiting for a decision on the appeal but it looks like I’ll need to call my bank.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.