eBay Scam

debg_33
Contributor
Contributor

So, I was a mug and bought a too good to be true item on ebay.es. I thought it might be OK, as it was covered by the eBay guarantee.

After half an hour I felt doubtful and cancelled the order. Next I heard was the order couldn't be cancelled as the seller had shipped, and here was the link to my shipping info. I click the link, just said item shipped, no shipping info. Click on the seller's name to ask for shipping info, account no longer exists. Click on the item, listing has been taken down. Get the sellers email from the PP payment, immediately comes back as undeliverable.

I open a case with eBay and PayPal straight away to alert them, hoping one of the two might be able to stop the transaction going through. Ebay closes the case because I also alerted Paypal. Paypal closed it too, I am not sure why. I then had no other choice but to reverse the PP payment through my bank. 

Thought no more of it until a few days later when I get an email of PP saying they have charged my credit card because the bank payment did not go through. Now I am pretty mad by this time, I did all I could to alert them to a scam and no one seemed to care, they just charged my card without my permission instead.

I have waited until the shipping time is up, and of course have not received anything, go to reopen, but I am unable to reopen the case on either eBay or Paypal, but I did manage to have a live chat with an eBay rep this morning who said it was not out of ebay's hands, but he would connect me with his colleague at PP. He called me on the phone and told me he was now connecting me. 

The phone rang twice, then it sounded like someone answered, and the line went dead. No one has called me back.

Any suggestions? Feeling pretty fed up. The order was for an Xmas present for my mum who has been sick and I can't afford anything now.

Landed here while looking for help. Hardly optimal, but maybe someone can help. I would rather not have the hassle of doing a chargeback, but if there is no way to contact reopen this scam case I don't really have a choice.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@debg_33

If you opened a dispute for an unauthorised transaction then what you are doing is telling paypal that your paypal account has been hacked and used without your consent by someone to make that transaction. Paypal would check IP addresses and devices and if they think you did make that transaction (which of course you did) then they would close the dispute.

You are only allowed x1 dispute per transaction.

So your best bet is to phone customer services and tell them that you opened unauthorised instead of 'non receipt' and see if they will open another one up for you.

But first just check that the payment has 'completed' in your paypal account and its not 'pending'.

I could give you more info but as you haven't said what country you are in i would be guessing.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@debg_33

If you had waited the Ebay dispute should have worked, if it didn't then you could then open a paypal one and if you filed for non receipt you would have had a refund.

What dispute did you open for paypal to close it?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

debg_33
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there

Yes thanks, I realise that now...I just wanted to alert them to it ASAP while hopefully there was time to get the money back rather than wait till the "seller" was long gone. Unfortunately, PP did not have an option for "Scammer Alert" so I chose the nearest one, which was the money was taken fraudulently, but explained in my description what had actually happened but seems because I chose the wrong option (because there want a right one) it was just closed.

Thanks for responding

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@debg_33

If you opened a dispute for an unauthorised transaction then what you are doing is telling paypal that your paypal account has been hacked and used without your consent by someone to make that transaction. Paypal would check IP addresses and devices and if they think you did make that transaction (which of course you did) then they would close the dispute.

You are only allowed x1 dispute per transaction.

So your best bet is to phone customer services and tell them that you opened unauthorised instead of 'non receipt' and see if they will open another one up for you.

But first just check that the payment has 'completed' in your paypal account and its not 'pending'.

I could give you more info but as you haven't said what country you are in i would be guessing.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

debg_33
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, yes it is completed, but as it is a second payment (they took without my consent) I would have liked to see a "Dispute transaction" button or something next to it, and there s nothing.

Yes, I will try phoning. Only free to call if you have a landline which I don't have, so rather worried the call to try to get my money back is going to cost me another arm and leg.

Oh well, live and learn.

Thank you for your help

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@debg_33

When you click on the transaction in your paypal account then there should have been a 'report a problem' link for you to click on to dispute it as non receipt??

Also whether calls are free is dependent on what country you are in and as you haven't said can't advise on that one.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

debg_33
Contributor
Contributor

"We're unable to file a case on this transaction."

Is what I get when I click t¡report a problem. Maybe because they helped themselves to my money to resend to a scammer after I had managed to get it back. Beggars belief.

I am in Spain, that is what it says on my account regarding calls, free from landline mobiles charged, but doesn't say how much.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@debg_33

have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

debg_33
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks so much. I will try contacting PP. eBay has told me there is nothing they can do as I need to ask for a refund via PP, but PP won't let me and advise me to go to eBay. I'll try social media. 

Thanks again for your help

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.