eBay Nigeria scam

Rmil6617
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all 

I have sold my iPad on eBay the buyer has not paid for it. This has been going on for a couple of days they are sending me email saying they are going to make payment. The eBay account has an address in London and zero feedback. The first email I got said they are away on business and will make payment today. So I get an email today saying they have made payment via PayPal . It had a PayPal email receipt attached to it that looks very genuine they have included an extra  hundred pounds and want me to send it to Nigeria also a note on the email that states the transaction will show as pending on PayPal until I send about tracking number. 

I believe this is a scam has anyone else experienced the same thing ?. 

Login to Me Too
179 REPLIES 179

Bjb123
Hi iv hand the same thing sent my items to Nigeria as I had fake PayPal and eBay messages stating my money was in my account what was your out come on this as I don't no what to do
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bjb123

Sorry nothing you can do if you have been scammed.

Always remember  >>

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service ie western union or moneygram if its the courier scam.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Jayke123
Contributor
Contributor
I have also been scammed but right away i knew it was a scam the time i got it becuase i have treied to get scammed 3times already
Login to Me Too

fsk
New Community Member

Just want to share a way to spot this to avoid being scammed:

1. Check the buyer profile - most of them time it is a new member just joined the same day.

2. "Or" this buyer has no rating (new member).

3. "And" the offer is better than or equal to what you have set to sell.

In such as case, though it may seem like someone is making a great offer, it is not a deal you want to make.

Hope this is a useful suggestion.

Login to Me Too

A_distefano69
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone,

I have experienced this same problem too. I sold my Nintendo Switch Bundle for over $900 CA. I got an instant buyer the next day. I shipped the item to the location on the ebay account which was in Red Deer, Alberta. Just moments after I had shipped it out, the man tells me he wants it shipped to Lagos, Nigeria for his son's birthday present. He even promised to cover the shipping cost. I had to wait to get it back and then ship it to Nigeria. The guy didn't even seem upset about it. I thought he had paid me via paypal, but when I checked my account some time after I had shipped it to Nigeria, I realized that I only saw my request sent to his email address. He claims to be a 'military man'.

Because it's been more than 32 days, ebay will not reopen the case and I can't get my money back.

**bleep**! I feel like such and idiot. Has anyone had this exact problem.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@A_distefano69

For seller protection you should NEVER send unless its to the Paypal registered address of the buyer at the time of the transaction, however its meaningless in your case as it was a scam anyway.

Ebay wouldn't help you as scammers use 'hijacked' Ebay accounts and that is why they needed to tell you to send to another address.

This is a typical scam ..................

They may buy on Ebay but they use an anonymous or hijacked Ebay account and DO NOT have a Paypal account so they can't use Ebay checkout. They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Paypal always tell you to send to the Paypal registered address of the buyer NOT the Ebay one OR one a scammer tells you to send to.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

jsamcme
Contributor
Contributor

Do not send off items until you see money posted into your account !!

Login to Me Too

bardomf
New Community Member

Thank you all for the feedback. The same thing happened to me, i was selling my camera and the buyer had an email from the UK, a phone number from California but i figured id still give it a shot. then he wanted me to ship the camera to Nigeria "fast" because it was a birthday present for his nephew. Immediately after i read Nigeria my scam alert started going off . Then i got the PayPal confirmation email which was definitely fake it was in my spam folder, i messaged the scammer and reported him to eBay. But i know he will continue to do this so watch out.

Login to Me Too

lilxcs
Same exact thing for me!! Nephews birthday
Login to Me Too

Pdr3
New Community Member

I was trying to sell a product on ebay for 200 and he offered me 600 USD; This is for you to make the mistake of wanting more and falling for the scam.

See how creative they are: 

Hello seller, I'm pleased to inform you that I have carried out the payment via PayPal, I just got a notification from them, I'm sure you must have been notified also because the fund as already been deducted from my account if not, kindly check your PayPal email inbox, spam/junk for confirmation.. I should have ask you to post it to my address on eBay, but am currently in (Pennysalvania Military Base) serving the country as a real Military Man. I paid $100 for the shipping fee because I'm buying the item for my Uncle  as a birthday gift, he works with the WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION they went for CANCER CURE PROGRAMME in WEST AFRICA. Please don't use any other postage service except UNITED STATE POSTAL SERVICE (USPS) PRIORITY EXPRESS MAIL INTERNATIONAL 4-8 DAYS DELIVERY and also Mark the item as gift. Am sorry for any inconvenience this may have cause. thanks for your understanding..

SHIPPING ADDRESS :

Name: Smith <removed>

Address: <removed>

City: Festac

State: Lagos 

Zip Code: <removed>

Best Regards 

Bacley <removed>

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
When you submit the invoice, you receive a fake email with the POST.COM sender server. And if you don't see it on the account, you send it without realizing it.

Date: Tue, 23 Ju[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]+0000 (UTC)
Reply-To:  <removed> <removed>

<removed> ,   this is the hint of fraud.
Always check first if you have actually received the paypal profile amount and do not send confirmation emails
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.