eBay AND PayPal ignoring the Consumer Rights Act 2015 - buyer protection worthless?

MudBarf
Contributor
Contributor

I bought a beard straightener on eBay a couple of months ago, but the item was not delivered to me. The shipping company (bluecare) claim in their online shipping details that they delivered it to my neighbour "Alize" in Flat 4, however there is no neighbour called "Alize" in flat 4, and I did not give my permission for the package to be delivered to a neighbour, nor did I give permission to leave the package in a "safe place". This information is clearly wrong.

I contacted the seller several times explaining that the item was not delivered, and that it was not left at number 4, as the tracking details stated.  They responded each time with just the tracking number, nothing else.

I was in on the day the item was supposedly delivered, and to get to flat 4, you have to walk past my ground floor flat, then up the stairs. Why would anyone walk past my flat, up the stairs, and try to leave a package there, instead of simply knocking on my door??? eBay customer services closed the claim I made with them without investigating at all, falsely stating the item had been delivered when it had not. They refused to reopen the claim unless I got a statement from Bluecare saying that the package was actually lost. I contacted Bluecare 5 times, but each time they ignored everything I said and simply told me to check with my neighbour. They already know that I have checked with my neighbour - that is the very first thing I told them!! eBay has repeatedly refused to reopen the case, even though I have pointed out that under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, Part 1, Chapter 2 Section 29 subsection 2, it is clear that until the item is received by me, or by a person whom I have nominated, the parcel is the responsibility of the seller. I did not nominate any neighbour to receive the parcel. I did not nominate a "safe place" for the parcel. As such, the law is clear that I am not liable for the parcel, the seller is.

So after a bit of arguing, I tried their suggestion of getting paypal to refund me for the item.  So I explained to paypal the whole mess, and waited.  The seller sent paypal the tracking number - nothing else.  Paypal closed my case yesterday in favor of the seller.

This is clearly not in line with UK law.  What's the point of having ebay or paypal "protection" if they simply close a case without taking into account the law or any facts?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Rishita

Hi @MudBarf,

Welcome to PayPal Community. 

I am sorry to hear that you had to go through such a situation.

I would request you to contact Customer Service to review what options are available to appeal the closed case. To contact customer service, please click Contact at the bottom of the PayPal website for available options, or reach out by PM on Facebook or DM on Twitter

I hope this helps! 

Rishita

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.