duplicate charge on my debt card, but only got 1 email conformation

SleepOnMe
Contributor
Contributor

Basically what the title says i got charged more the once for the same item however, 1 charge is still pending but i cant find the charge on PayPal or the merchants website but it shows up on my debt card and i cant cancel it. I have not got an email about this pending charge from either PayPal or the merchant. I asked the merchant before coming and they said i didn't have 2 charges on there records and to come ask PayPal. Something strange to mention is that the pending charge for item and the tax is separate (2 charges 1 for the item and 1 for the tax). Please help thank you

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

SleepOnMe
Contributor
Contributor

called paypal and got it sorted out

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

StAita
Contributor
Contributor

I had this same issue once around 14ish years ago

At that point in time I rarely used paypal so I came back after a fairly long time, some months to find a negative balance

i paid something like 5-10 or 15$, had the 15- i have no idea how much only that it was a miniscule amount- to cover it and the normal paypal fees i expected. purchase went through, no issues. when I came back to paypal at a later date i found this negative balance that could only have been from a double charge, and in any case was added on after the fact at some point. I tried at the time to contact paypal about it, they weren't interested in my side of the story I guess so I stopped using paypal for at least another 6ish years or so after that. I was a minor so I had always used a fake name for anything online, and back then paypal didn't need the excessive personal information they do now;

Anyway, 6ish years go by I needed to pay someones paypal.me or something so again, used a random name, payed through paypal with a prepaid debit card, never really planned on using the account again. I did eventually come back to use paypal again only to find a ton of limitations, they wanted verified identity etc so since I had no relevant accounts or cards linked to the older accounts i figured i'd just make a legitimate one, which is where I'm at now.

Having read through these community forums, and because I've already had to contact support multiple times, and especially because of how long some of these payments take to process I'm very hesitant to do more through paypal. At this point I'm probably going to use it up until exactly one more problem and then just cut my losses.

To be clear, there's no way in hell i'd be willing to pay a double charge today even now that I'm using legitimate information. They'd watch me absolutely ignore any kind of collection no matter how small just out of principle. Though I would obviously at least offer them the courtesy of attempting to clear it up through support first.

Login to Me Too

StAita
Contributor
Contributor

I do want to clarify that up until that initial double charge I had made hundreds of dollars worth of small transactions with paypal, so to me for them to just brush my complaint off was asburd.

The fact that they still have double charges happening 14 years later is also mindblowing, and again the payment processing. I cannot name another service that takes this long to send money nowadays. I could literally write a paper check and still immediately make a purchase somewhere;

At the end of the day some things are easier done through paypal but only up to a point

Login to Me Too
Solved

SleepOnMe
Contributor
Contributor

called paypal and got it sorted out

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.