Need advice, Digital river unauthorized pay, how to tighten security?

asukatenjou
New Community Member

I noticed today something odd in my account, I was charged about 10 euros from a company known as Digital river, I never dealt with them before and after a bit or research I found out they deal with digital transactions and services. I have checked all my accounts embedded to paypal and have not found anything related to them - just in case I did so - and really have no clue to how they managed to charge me.

I was wondering other than setting down a dispute, and changing all security questions and passwords, what else should I do? Should I consider my credit card in danger and cancel it? I heard sometimes some frauds charge small amounts before wiping your account clean to see if they get away with it.

Also has anyone else been scammed by these people? What did you do?

Login to Me Too
227 REPLIES 227

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mickr67

Digital river is an ecommerce payment company. They partner with companies like Samsung, Microsoft, razr, McAfee, avast, etc. If you buy from those websites, your charge may show up as from digital river. They also handle subscriptions. A lot of times what happens is people accept a free trial for a product, like anti virus, and forget to cancel and it auto renews. Be careful what you are accepting Again...Digital river just handles the orders and payments submitted by partner companies.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Khaledjj
Contributor
Contributor
I have a pending charge please cancell immediately
Login to Me Too

piotr953
Contributor
Contributor

REMOVE YOUR CC FROM PP TO SAVE FROM PROBLEMS!

Login to Me Too

Inkaboo2010
Contributor
Contributor

If i remove my credit card from PayPal, how can I pay off my PayPal account?

Login to Me Too

JPOC
Contributor
Contributor

thats all fine and dandy... but then PayPal will attempt to directly withdraw from your linked bank account. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JPOC 

Cancel then???

Check if you had a subscription set up.
Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > "manage pre-approved payments.''

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Temp20221019F
Contributor
Contributor

This isn't Paypals fault.

It's the way Digital River Ireland sets up your payments.

If you don't cancel, it will treat it as a subscription and recharge as and when.

Always read the small print.

Settings

Payments

Pre-approved payments

Show Active.

This will list all the people you use paypal with

Click on the one you want to stop (Digital River Ireland Ltd)

Click on cancel

Paypal will confirm no more payments

Click on done.

check on pre-approved payments 

Digital river should have gone.

click on show inactive.

Digital river should be there

Login to Me Too

Temp20221019F
Contributor
Contributor

You have to cancel your authorisation to Paypal through your settings, yourself.

Login to Me Too

piotr953
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Piotr,

Thank you for contacting AVG.

We have received a refund request from you regarding your purchase of AVG TuneUp, with Ref. No. [63284468700].

According to our records, you filed a PayPal dispute/claim for this purchase. PayPal reversed your purchase on [6/23/19 ].

Unfortunately, we are unable to help you with this matter. We recommend that you contact PayPal directly.

Thank you for understanding.

Best regards,
Sandhya <removed>
AVG Customer Care

Login to Me Too

CPRCARNFORTH
New Community Member

Unauthorised payment taken today for £64.99 for a secure VPN provided by AVG.  This is not a service that I require or requested.  Refund required from PayPal.

Clearly this is a common complaint.  Investigation in to the cause required & robust action to be taken against AVG.  Scam organization.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.