dewalt tool scam

mrhrcng
Contributor
Contributor

I made 2 purchases from what appeared to be a dewalt refurbisher. I did not recive any tracking info and the merchants email was not valid so I filed for a refund. a week or so later a small envelope came in the mail from the merchant, containing a 2" x 3" sticker sheet of smiley faces. now paypal has refused my refunds because tracking shows my items were delivered. all I received was the stickers and am out over 100.00  what do I do paypal just states my case is closed and I cant seem to get through to anyone

Login to Me Too
50 REPLIES 50

RJonez

That happened to me also.  Scammed on two drills

Login to Me Too

harrisdm
Contributor
Contributor

I ordered an air compressor, a battery operated hedge trimmer, a battery, and a chain for a Dewalt 60v chain saw. After receiving multiple discounts it came to $99. The post office records show a 2lb. item was delivered but not to my address. Regardless it gave them a tracking number to reference as delivered. They charge $99 for everything was to minimize any investigation being not worth the loss. They send cheap items to get a tracking number. PayPal will investigate but since the post office shows a package delivery you will loose any chance of recovery. Quite a scheme. They have also been reported to the better Business Bureau by many people. PayPal will deny claims because the post office shows a tracking number. My post office investigated this for me and they noted it was a scam. They have several other similar bogus deliveries using this scheme. With all the reports here,  the Better Business Bureau, and reviews on google you would think PayPal would not let them use their service since  it adds legitimacy to the scam.

Login to Me Too

Dicktahoe
Contributor
Contributor

I had extensive discussions with PayPal by email nearly 2 years ago. They still have taken no action against this vendor and still continue to support him with PayPal and except his scam shipment verifications, in my case a package of kids happy stickers.  PayPal is a disgusting organization and I refuse to do business through them.

Login to Me Too

harrisdm
Contributor
Contributor

I enclosed all the records and verifications to PayPal in my dispute. I took it a step further and paid for the post office to do an investigation. I sent the post office all the same information. After five days I received two reports. One was an email that said it showed the package was received. Another by the local post master reporting that the package was only 2lb. and not even delivered to my address. He said it is an obvious scam. But his response was verbal and he would not send an email. So the only official proof of delivery said I received a package. This a very large scheme. By PayPal accepting their business it gives credibility to this scammer. It is very hard to understand how a company with such a good reputation to maintain would continue to do business with this large scale scammer. I have always trusted a company that uses PayPal. These are the only companies I will do business with on the internet. It is not  about loosing the $99. It is now about the new skepticism I have with doing business with unknown companies. 

Login to Me Too

Dicktahoe
Contributor
Contributor

Here’s the easiest way to get it resolved.  PayPal removes $$$$ from your account one of two ways: From a Credit Card or from your bank account.  You should always tie PayPal to your credit card, then you can file a dispute with your credit card for the PayPal charge, the CC company will refund your money and go after PayPal.  

If you have your PayPal tied to your Bank Account, go to your bank and file a “Fraud Report”, then your bank will refund your money (Wells Fargo refunded mine), and they will go after PayPal. I no longer use my bank with PayPal, only a Credit Card.

Login to Me Too

ArtieBag
Contributor
Contributor

Yep me too.  My wife figured out that the stickers were from the scammers.  I talked with DeWalt and they know about the scam.  It's pretty hilarious in some ways.  If PayPal is willing to look at this as an invalid vendor issue I wouldn't mind getting my $100 back (minus the cost of the stickers).

In retrospect it was obviously too good to be true - I should have known better!

- Art

Login to Me Too

jimmeste
Contributor
Contributor

Me too.  I thought I was purchasing a saw and batteries at a really good price.  I had a funny feeling about such a good deal, but pressed the button anyway.  I received a ponytail holder.  I am still waiting on PayPal to "resolve" this issue.  Of course I am not hopeful.  I did make a video of the opening of the package when it arrived.  I submitted pictures etc. to PayPal.

The site I was taken by was an ad on Yahoo's main page (decadfe.com).  I now see the same ad on Yahoo as (dewaltshops.com)

Yahoo is not interested in knowing about these ads.

Login to Me Too

jimmeste
Contributor
Contributor

I didn’t let go of trying to get resolution. After several back and forth reply’s with PayPal And an offer from the scammer for a full refund if I returned the merchandise (still laughing on this), I was told by PayPal that if I filed a complaint with a law enforcement agency a full refund would be given. I filed a claim with Internet Crime Center and forwarded a copy of the complaint to PayPal. A refund was issued the same day.  PayPal was very helpful in resolving this, but not without my being persistent. 

The key thing was I kept every email, document, website address, and photos of the bogus package. I had lots of proof of the scam.

i have seen this ad with several different website addresses since this happened to me and other very similar ads for other fantastic deals.  I’m not gonna say it won’t happen to me again, but once burned twice shy.

Login to Me Too

BigOldAl
Contributor
Contributor

This just proves that PayPal is FULLY aware of this scam, but keeps sending payments to these scammers. I sat on the phone for literally hours (most likely due to the pandemic) and all I got from PayPal in the end was the seller's offer of a refund if I sent the package back. I have since taken my loss with humility and thrown away everything. PayPal NEVER told me to get a police report. All they said was that they were closing my claim since I had decided not to return the item to China (even though it was drop shipped from New Jersey and was a 5-cent plastic whistle). I have kept my word and will not use PayPal ever again. Since I won't use PayPal, I also can't use eBay ever again either as most sellers will only accept immediate PayPal payments. That's OK by me. PayPal should have stopped paying these scammers long ago and Yahoo should have stopped posting their ads. I don't even read Yahoo news anymore.

Now, I do almost all of my online purchasing through another website that Jeff Bezos owns. (They even blocked any reference to that sight and wouldn't let me check the "reCAPTCHA" until I removed the name from this post).  I get super-fast delivery and free return shipping on anything that isn't right. They also refund my money for returns as soon as I have dropped off the return item at UPS and they have scanned it. The don't even wait to receive the item before they issue the refund! THAT is what real Customer Service looks like!

Login to Me Too

Dicktahoe
Contributor
Contributor

As I’ve said before, PayPal will do everything they can to keep from refunding your $$$$ Paid for in good faith using PayPal.  Soooooo, what can you do.  Simple!  Make sure the funds used for Paypal come from your credit card and not your bank account.  That way you can contest the paypal charge with your credit card company and they will give you a refund and fight with PayPal for you.  No worries!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.