denied dispute

hbward
New Community Member

What can a good honest person do when they were denied? My 17 year old daughter worked for months to purchase an iphone. She and her mother scanned the internet to find a good deal and made the first purchase ever on ebay. I was against it but they were assured by 2 guarantees through paypal and ebay. My wife purchased a phone for our daughter that was described as: shows signs of use, turns on and sometimes shuts off. Comes with a charger. They paid $140 and awaited arrival. The phone arrived and the screen was cracked accross the whole face. Something rattled when you shook it. It would only come on long enough to show the apple logo then immediately cut off. I gave my "told you so face". My daughter attempted to settle things with the seller, who became very rude and refused to accept return of the phone. I became involved at that point. I asked my wife to file a dispute with PayPal "guarantee". She disputed on the basis that the phone wasn't as described. She explained the problem, and PayPal gave us an open forum with the seller to settle the dispute. He went on for several paragraphs in a rant about the intelligence of my daughter because in her naive good heart, she didn't call him a liar in the original emails. She emailed that if there was another description for the phone she ordered that she didn't know where to look for it. She asked him if maybe he had sent the wrong phone or maybe it was destroyed in shipping. He immediately escalated for a decision and without contacting us or asking for any information PayPal denied us. We spent the next week trying to see if the phone could be salvageable. 5 repair facilities across 3 counties later, the phone is a paper weight. The battery doesn't belong to the phone and to get it fixed would cost more than 2x a new one. So, my wife went to the backup guarantee, ebay. ebay told us that since we went through PayPal first that they couldn't even dispute it. The person I talked to was so horrified that even though she worked for ebay she wouldn't trust the process again. PayPal didn't even post a reason. HELP ME! I am a father trying to restore my family in the faith of this online world!

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Teslafan101
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

EbAY hAS 30 DAYS money back guarantee MBG,if you filed with Ebay,Ebay would have sent you a shipping label to return the item at seller expense and you would get the original payment back.

But you went with Paypal,I dont know why you lost,but if you have tempered with it,it is no longer in same condition,so you cant return the item.

Your wife and daughter know it is not in good condition,if it shuts off ,so why buy it?

I have bought some ipod on Ebay with cracked screen  ,but it does work,  

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@hbward 

If you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer for a chargeback.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.