a hole in the PayPal buyer protection system... so much scammers out there

boromansat
Contributor
Contributor

I was already cheated 2 times and my 3rd case is in the resolution center right now. It will be probably resolved positive to the scamming seller. Here's how they do that:

They do ads on facebook and offer some discounted products - link goes to on newly made websites. You order and pay via PayPal so you think you're "buyer protected". You finally got a package but its not what you orered - usually something very small like wall socket adapter, USB hub - you know, not worth even $1. So you make a claim here and they say "sorry, please return it to us and we will send you proper thing you bought". PayPal tells you the same. So you're gonna send it registered parcel to CHINA (!) with tracking  numbers etc. which will cost you like $10-20 depending on how big is that. Then they send you the same sh*t over again, but you cant make another claim on the same item.

The story is always like that one above. 

Is it resolved already? and how PayPal deals with that kind of scam? I already have another opened case for this but I'm sure that it would end negative on my side, as always...

Thanks

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

Chickwit
New Community Member

I have had the same problem. Shopping Technology took my $88.50 and the items arrived they looked nothing like what was on the Bellaies website. The company bellaes advertised on Facebook and the website look very professional with an American look to it. It was not until I received the goods and wanted to send them back that I suddenly realised they (bellies - Shopping Technologies) were a Scam. So I raised a dispute and I sent the items back with a tracking number. Everything was going fine until just before Christmas when I was told I had to chase up the tracking number and contact whoever had the parcel. Which i did and had confirmation that the returned parcel was in China, and had pasted  Customs and was in some holding place. At this point the conversations between myself and the operators (via text) got heated and they closed my dispute saying that the tracking was not valid. I have just written to the resolution centre with an attachment showing the response I had from China post stating that the parcel is stuck in transit, so I am hoping that PayPal will reopen the dispute.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Chickwit 

@boromansat 

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

HOWEVER you may still have the option to do a charge back if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card.
Also Paypal may contribute towards return costs IF you have activated the below link (if available in your country).
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ3544

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

boromansat
Contributor
Contributor

(This link is not working)

I know about these details you've mentioned. But it still does not answer this question.

So, this is a BLACK HOLE in the protection system, right?

My case is still under review. This time I set it for "I dont received the product" other than "I received something else". Well, the thing is I have not received it. I received something else from another company (a go-through company?), so in technical terms, it's not been received. We'll see how it goes, but I think PayPal will still be on their side. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@boromansat 

Link works but may not in your country but as you have not said what country you are in I could only post the 1 link.

If you file for non receipt and the seller provides tracking that shows delivery then you will probably lose.

However if you received it but not as described then you need to CHANGE the dispute or open the correct one in the first place.

If you don't select the correct option then you may lose and then yes buyer protection won't work as there is normally only 1 dispute per transaction.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

boromansat
Contributor
Contributor

I know, but last time I have gone through "received it but not as described" and seller opted for shipping back to China with registered trackable (which was like $15... so more than the product itself).

And then, dispute ends.

Seller ships the same small $0.5 gadget..

Login to Me Too

PKFP
New Community Member

I'm going through the same thing. I ordered items totally $100 from China. Months later I received a very cheap item worth $5. I opened up a case. I was told to return it, costing $28, with multiple agents telling me that I can get my return shipping reimbursed. After months of head ache and talking with agents, the case was closed because of  "tracking was not valid".  I continued writing messages to get a refund and shipping cost refund.  Last post I received was that I had a business account and paypal will only reimburse shipping on personal accounts.  (I hadn't realized I was using a business account since my business closed over 5 years ago). 

Paypal's buyer protection system has many holes including closing the case because "tracking was not valid" and getting authorized to receive reimbursement on shipping. Paypal, this needs to be changed.  We don't want to be lied too. Paypal we trusted you to protect us. I will be posting on Facebook all my actions concerning my case with Paypal to inform the public of these scams and lies. 

Login to Me Too

boromansat
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry to hear that. 

I'm back with bad news too - my claim was denied and I was not refunded. So at the moment we could only order from aliexpress or wish or gearbest sites not that freakin facebook/instagram ads where 90% is fake goods.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.