Worst payment service ever, paypal stole my money and does not want to give back transaction fee

TerryChen
Contributor
Contributor

I transferred my money from another paypal account to my main account. The other account was registered in Taiwan a long time ago. After the transaction was complete, I deleted the old account. Paypal charged me a big transaction fee. So I called customer service to revert it back because it was not a merchandise/customer transaction. Talked to two agents, both of them told me they'd reverse the transaction, but nothing happened. The last one I talked to said there's nothing he can do even he knows that's was "send to friend/family" transaction. What a big waste of my time waiting on the phone and chatting with them. I've been using paypal for years, now I am closing it because it's unreasonable and sketchy.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@TerryChen

You really need to check the fee schedules for Taiwan. Even if it is a friends and family payment if you are transferring funds from a Taiwan account to a Canadian account (cross-border), at the very least, currency conversion fees would apply. And there is fees for personal payments depending on the domestic or cross-border and bank/paypal balance or card.

Currency Conversion fee from Taiwan currency to Canadian currency: 3.5%

If you are sending funds to yourself, cross-border, as it turns out, with PayPal balance or bank account there is a fee: $4.99 USD + the currency conversion fees.  It is only free if you are sending personal payment between to Taiwan accounts with bank account or PayPal balance.

https://www.paypal.com/tw/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_TW#exhibit_A

PayPal accounts are country specific. If you move to different country of residence, you need to withdraw your funds and close out your account before you leave. PayPal is like a bank account. You have to close out account and take your money with you if you move out of the country. Don't believe just because it is internet account that same rules don't or won't eventually apply. All they are doing lately is trying to make the virtual world like the real world.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@TerryChen

You really need to check the fee schedules for Taiwan. Even if it is a friends and family payment if you are transferring funds from a Taiwan account to a Canadian account (cross-border), at the very least, currency conversion fees would apply. And there is fees for personal payments depending on the domestic or cross-border and bank/paypal balance or card.

Currency Conversion fee from Taiwan currency to Canadian currency: 3.5%

If you are sending funds to yourself, cross-border, as it turns out, with PayPal balance or bank account there is a fee: $4.99 USD + the currency conversion fees.  It is only free if you are sending personal payment between to Taiwan accounts with bank account or PayPal balance.

https://www.paypal.com/tw/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_TW#exhibit_A

PayPal accounts are country specific. If you move to different country of residence, you need to withdraw your funds and close out your account before you leave. PayPal is like a bank account. You have to close out account and take your money with you if you move out of the country. Don't believe just because it is internet account that same rules don't or won't eventually apply. All they are doing lately is trying to make the virtual world like the real world.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.