World Health Organization COVID Fund Invoice Scam

HollowKnights2k
Contributor
Contributor

Hey world. Not sure if I'm the only one receiving this invoice but just got an invoice for $20.00 from something called the Respond Fund for World Solidarity from the World Health Organization.  Paypal won't let me dispute this invoice nor would I presume the WHO would send dubious invoices for donations through Paypal so I'm assuming it's a scam. Just curious if this is being sent out to others. Thanks!

Login to Me Too
483 REPLIES 483

gummibear363

The following is a SCAM! Why would we have to take a scam charge off our PayPal account? If you haven't authorized it, it SHOULD NOT appear on your account.

"Here's your invoice"

"COVID-19 Relief Fund - Help Families Around The World sent you an invoice for $35.00 USD"

Login to Me Too

ChrisCooling
Contributor
Contributor

@gummibear363 

read the thread. We have posted how to do this numerous times.

It 'appears on your account' because it is an invoice. Any Paypal user can invoice anyone with an email address. This is a feature of Paypal. Don't pay it.

Login to Me Too

CherylAM3
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same $50. invoice in my account.  I have messaged PayPal and tried to cancel the invoice with no luck.  I tried in the resolution center and it was rejected.  I want this invoice gone and an explanation from PayPal as to why it is posted in my account! Has anyone had any luck removing the invoice?

Login to Me Too

KristiAUH
Contributor
Contributor

No, I've had ZERO luck at all.  I can't believe this, such a scam.

Login to Me Too

Issey631
Contributor
Contributor
I have the same problem ! Just received an invoice for 50 and can remove it ! Have emailed PayPal no help !!!
Login to Me Too

russojar
Contributor
Contributor
Yes I just went into PayPal and Activity, selected the invoice and on the right side there was a pulldown where you can select cancel
Login to Me Too

FedUp24
Contributor
Contributor
I also got this and managed to delete the invoice via the website and not the app. I contacted PayPal and was not impressed with their lack of response to delete this from ALL accounts as they know the PayPal account that the money is going into. I just get the feeling that as they will get there fees from those who fall for this, they don’t give a damn. They should block these as part of there anti fraud process. But no , profits over people
Login to Me Too

ChrisCooling
Contributor
Contributor

@FedUp24 wrote:
 as they know the PayPal account that the money is going into. I just get the feeling that as they will get there fees from those who fall for this, they don’t give a damn. They should block these as part of there anti fraud process.

Not following on this...we know at this point these are actual donation requests from the WHO. I and others have confirmed this with Paypal Support. Incredibly spammy and underhanded...but it is not a scammer impersonating WHO.

Login to Me Too

FedUp24
Contributor
Contributor
From the link in the invoice to a website , I emailed them and got the following reply: Thank you for your message. Please disregard this email. It is a phishing attempt and is in no way associated with the COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund. The COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund, WHO, or the UN Foundation have never and will never issue invoices requesting payment. If you receive any additional phishing emails, please report them here.
Login to Me Too

bargainbandido
Contributor
Contributor
Exactly. So where are the paypal support statements calling these genuine requests for donations? Sorry for being lazy. But it still seems to me they've allowed an imposter to penetrate their defenses. And as far as definitions of underhanded spam go, if this politicized org was officially permitted by pp to solicit, it seems far, FAR below standard to pose these requests as 'invoices' instead of simply sending a request as a message, etc.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.