World Health Organization COVID Fund Invoice Scam

HollowKnights2k
Contributor
Contributor

Hey world. Not sure if I'm the only one receiving this invoice but just got an invoice for $20.00 from something called the Respond Fund for World Solidarity from the World Health Organization.  Paypal won't let me dispute this invoice nor would I presume the WHO would send dubious invoices for donations through Paypal so I'm assuming it's a scam. Just curious if this is being sent out to others. Thanks!

Login to Me Too
483 REPLIES 483

Dazed_d
Contributor
Contributor
I had the same thing happen- try to cancel & invoice has nothing but pay options. I'm not paying it, this is a purchase only paypal for our ebay shop. I never offer to donate using this account.
Login to Me Too

darruda25
New Community Member

This did not work for me as well.  Anyone find anything other than what eschisler posted?

Login to Me Too

Dazed_d
Contributor
Contributor

The latest response I received from PayPal Customer Service. 

Louie Antonette

6:32 PM

I understand that you're worried about the invoice you received. If you weren't able to cancel it, I suggest to clear your cache and cookies, use a different browser, or cancel it through the PayPal App. At the same time, if you no longer want to receive payments or messages from another PayPal user, you can block them using the PayPal website or mobile app.

*Obviously the sender of this invoice isn't in my contacts. They told me earlier that only the sender can cancel the invoice which is complete nonsense. 

In my my quest to figure this out I found the actual & legit fund site covid19responsefund . org  & they have a notice at the very bottom of their page so they are aware this is something that is occurring. Here's the notice-

Please note: There have been some cases reported of people fraudulently presenting themselves as WHO or the COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund, and/or sending invoices requesting payment on behalf of the Fund.  WHO, the UN Foundation, or the Swiss Philanthropy Foundation will never contact you for your credit card or banking details.

Login to Me Too

SHNM
New Community Member

Same here, for $50.  I received notice of the invoice/donation via email. Did not respond to the email in any way. Deleted it immediately. Then I logged in to PayPal. The invoice appeared as Pending status on my account Summary page. I clicked on the line-item to review the details. From there I clicked the CANCEL button. PayPal offered a place to type my reason for cancellation and I wrote "I did not initiate this invoice and I do not agree to this payment.  I am canceling the invoice.  DO NOT invoice me again." Now when I look at my account Summary page the invoice shows CANCELLED and the $50 has a strike through it. Sneaky spammers...

Login to Me Too

Dazed_d
Contributor
Contributor

They got a bit more sneaky on the request sent to me. Hitting the CCancel button on the pending screen only opened the invoice & there was no option to cancel. I went to the address bar once the invoice/payment screen loaded & at the end of the link address without adding spaces I added the following

?action=cancel

this populated a box that gave me the option to state why I was cancelling & I put the same text that SHNM stated they used.

"I did not initiate this invoice and I do not agree to this payment.  I am canceling the invoice.  DO NOT invoice me again."

Invoice cancelled!!! The summary screen now shows the invoice with a strikethrough over the $35 they were trying to phish out of me. 

Login to Me Too

bbeane
Contributor
Contributor
This worked for me as well. Thank you. I had an invoice for $0 and then they sent me another for $50.
Login to Me Too

solana3077
New Community Member

I got TWO invoices on  my PayPal account!  Both for $35.00.  I was lucky enought to cancel both.  

Login to Me Too

Anonymouscovid-
New Community Member

Hackers deactivated the cancel button. 

Do the following to cancel the invoice, it works...

1.) Go into the fraudulent invoice.

2.) Go to the URL address bar and put your cursor after the last character.

3.) Type the following... ?action=cancel 

4.) Hit the ENTER button.

5.) A pop-up screen will appear and provide you the option to cancel the invoice.

6.)  Click the "Cancel" button ant the invoice will be cancelled.

Login to Me Too

pambro
Contributor
Contributor
The manual cancel worked from my desktop. Thank you.
Login to Me Too

pambro
Contributor
Contributor
I received an unsolicited invoice from WHO on Aug 24, 2020. I tried to report this as spam or phishing in the resolution center and received the error message that this type of invoice could not be reported. I assume it is just a solicitation, but I have not committed to supporting the WHO and was frustrated that they could be so cheeky as to send me a bill as if I had pledged financial support. So will somebody please explain how can they can just randomly send me a bill, and how can I remove this spam invoice from my account?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.