World Health Organization COVID Fund Invoice Scam

HollowKnights2k
Contributor
Contributor

Hey world. Not sure if I'm the only one receiving this invoice but just got an invoice for $20.00 from something called the Respond Fund for World Solidarity from the World Health Organization.  Paypal won't let me dispute this invoice nor would I presume the WHO would send dubious invoices for donations through Paypal so I'm assuming it's a scam. Just curious if this is being sent out to others. Thanks!

Login to Me Too
483 REPLIES 483

ohm3k
Contributor
Contributor
According to the help center an unpaid invoice is not disputable. It has been suggested 4 times now that I simply use the cancel option, which has proven futile.
Login to Me Too

Chuckhermann
Contributor
Contributor
I got one for $50. No way to cancel or dispute. I sent a message to PayPal.
Login to Me Too

Kattrenee
Contributor
Contributor
Did they respond to it
Login to Me Too

Cplumb
New Community Member
I received an invoice today for $50. I sent the email notification to spoof@paypal.com, and sent a message to the customer service messaging center. Pretty sure the messaging center was a bust, but I’m goin to try again later. This is saucy a fraud!
Login to Me Too

rbhaala
Contributor
Contributor

I finally got a response from PayPal, although in broken and improper English use. I was given instructions to "delete" invoice which cannot be done because the option does NOT exist, at least on my account. Was then told to just "ignore" and it would not hurt my "financials." The lack of security bothers me with PayPal. What bothers me even more is the lack of service and the inability to "fix" something that is clearly a SCAM.

Login to Me Too

Mike1953CA
Contributor
Contributor

I completely agree. At some point PayPal will have a liability if this continues. I’m wondering if we will see other fraudulent invoices?

Login to Me Too

bigcatch
Contributor
Contributor
You can click the down arrow next to payment- and then select cancel The invoice will be canceled and removed- and you will also have an opportunity to send WHO a nice email message - which I enjoyed greatly 😊
Login to Me Too

eschisler

I received an invoice from WHO for $35. I messaged customer support and here's their response to cancel the invoice. 

Hope this helps!

2. Either find the request or invoice on your Summary page or click Activity.

3. Click Cancel next to it.

4. Click Yes to complete the cancellation.

When you cancel a money request, it’s always a good idea to email your recipient to tell them about the cancellation.
Login to Me Too

Nuno_Almeida

DO NOT PAY IT IS A SCAM
So basically i just checked and it seems someone, somewhere, somehow must have gotten access to some e-mail addresses with Paypal accounts, and nowadays that is all you need to emit an invoice. Then of course they made the invoice "prettier" and linked it to the official sites of the WHO, but I am very confident that if you pay it will not go to WHO.

So to sum up, cancel it, report it and that is it.

TO SOLVE: on the youtube video below you can start on minute 2:00 if you just want to solve the issue, it will help you on how to cancel the invoice

<removed>

Report this as a Scam on the official WHO site, and maybe to Paypal as well:
<removed>

Login to Me Too

jrichey99

The scammers were savvy enough to rig/disable the cancel button for the invoice.  Spoke with PayPal Customer Service, and here is the work around:

1) Access the invoice

2) Go to the URL address bar and place your cursor after the very last character in the address and type ?action=cancel

3) Click 'Enter'

4) A pop-up screen will appear and provide the option to cancel the invoice

5) Click the 'Cancel' button and you're all set!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.