World Health Organization COVID Fund Invoice Scam

HollowKnights2k
Contributor
Contributor

Hey world. Not sure if I'm the only one receiving this invoice but just got an invoice for $20.00 from something called the Respond Fund for World Solidarity from the World Health Organization.  Paypal won't let me dispute this invoice nor would I presume the WHO would send dubious invoices for donations through Paypal so I'm assuming it's a scam. Just curious if this is being sent out to others. Thanks!

Login to Me Too
483 REPLIES 483

Dazed_d
Contributor
Contributor
The scammer has disabled the cancel button. Here's the workaround. Using a browser click the "cancel" button. It opens the invoice instead. Go to the address bar & at the end of the address string put ?action=cancel & enter enter. A cancel dialog box should appear. Be sure to type as your reason- "I did not request this invoice. I will not pay this invoice. I am canceling this invoice". If successful the invoice amount will have a strike through it & show canceled. If you are in a non-English country you will need to do some trial an error to find the cancel action string that works for your language.
Login to Me Too

ChrisCooling
Contributor
Contributor

The scammer has NOT disabled the cancel button. As we have established, there is a coding bug on Paypal's website which does not add the ?action=cancel to the url of the destination page. You can easily reproduce and confirm this.

Login to Me Too

Jen072
Contributor
Contributor
Just got one, an invoice for $50. Trust that Paypal best fix this fast or head will roll if ANY money disappears from my account!
Login to Me Too

FatesWebb
Contributor
Contributor
HERE IS THE SOLUTION: open the invoice in a browser so you are viewing the open invoice in a browser. Then at the top of the browser where it has the URL just add this to the end of the URL.... ?action=cancel It should look something like this when you're done.. https://www.paypal.com/invoice/payerView/details/INV2-PCZP-3B3N-GC1H-SXRH?action=cancel Once you have added the ?action=cancel on the end then hit enter... This will pop up a cancellation window. You can select send me an email if you want then hit cancel. Now when you go back to your account (you may need to refresh completely for it to be shown properly....) You will still see the invoice listed but it will have a cancelled status. Thanks and have a nice day! (Btw I did this on Android, using Firefox, but should work with any browser.)
Login to Me Too

Hbowman94
New Community Member
Thank you so much!! This worked for me. (on iPhone) it’s awful that PayPal isn’t doing anything about this issue.
Login to Me Too

ohm3k
Contributor
Contributor
I am able to validate this solution. I hope you have posted this in the main threads. THANK YOU!!!!
Login to Me Too

StaceyMac
Contributor
Contributor

Same here. Mine was allegedly for the WHO COVID-19 "relief fund", yet the name of the requestor says "Ronee Dizon". Mine was for $50. PayPal not helping over the phone, can only wait for hours for the automated messaging center to respond. Frustrated beyond belief. PayPal better sort this out soon. 😠

Login to Me Too

kchanskie
Contributor
Contributor
I had it for $50, it went to my PayPal account but the email address on the invoice was for another email account. I've managed to delete the invoice
Login to Me Too

cherrycakes
Contributor
Contributor
It wouldn't work on my android phone but worked on my microsoft laptop using google chrome
Login to Me Too

Lilab5

I received this too for $50. I messaged paypal and was able to cancel the invoice on my computer. Just click activity and then there should be a cancel button next to the invoice. Click cancel. I hope this is helpful.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.