World Health Organization COVID Fund Invoice Scam

HollowKnights2k
Contributor
Contributor

Hey world. Not sure if I'm the only one receiving this invoice but just got an invoice for $20.00 from something called the Respond Fund for World Solidarity from the World Health Organization.  Paypal won't let me dispute this invoice nor would I presume the WHO would send dubious invoices for donations through Paypal so I'm assuming it's a scam. Just curious if this is being sent out to others. Thanks!

Login to Me Too
483 REPLIES 483

lmach99
New Community Member
yeah same here, I first got a $0 invoice then minutes later a $50 invoice and I can't seem to cancel or report this. I tried disputing it, but base on the PayPal policy agreement, I can't dispute this invoice. Wth...how do I remove this?? ...
Login to Me Too

Klein699
Contributor
Contributor
I ended up calling paypal help line. And their response was odd. I was told to ignore it and the system would take care of it. When I asked how come I cant delete it, and the reply was if I felt vulnerable, then I should change my password. Huh? Was I breached in someway I wasnt aware of? Why are they being so evasive? I assume if the WHO or some hack group is responsible, its probably a big deal. As long as my money is secure, Im good. If not, we should be notified.
Login to Me Too

temp20200826
New Community Member

I got $35 invoice from spoof pretending to be directrelief.org ..... **bleep** off Paypal that I can not report, can not cancel, can not accept online dispute, what the **bleep**, I am with paypal 30+ years, now I am going to pull out disassociate with Pp.

Can never get a live person on the phone, they do not even put their phone on Help page, **bleep** it.

Login to Me Too

ChrisCooling
Contributor
Contributor

@temp20200826 wrote:

I got $35 invoice from spoof pretending to be directrelief.org ..... **bleep** off Paypal that I can not report, can not cancel, can not accept online dispute, what the **bleep**, I am with paypal 30+ years, now I am going to pull out disassociate with Pp.

Can never get a live person on the phone, they do not even put their phone on Help page, **bleep** it.

We've explained repeatedly how to cancel it, but you don't HAVE to do anything. Its just an invoice. Don't pay it. 

Also, Paypal hasn't existed for '30+ years,' so I don't know where you're getting that nonsense.

Login to Me Too

Klein699
Contributor
Contributor
Here’s the fix, access your account through a web browser, not the app. Go to the invoice and click on the cancel button. Then go to the url address at the top of the page at the end of the address with no space add ?action=cancel. A cancel notice should pop up.
Login to Me Too

bjpalo
New Community Member

I received what I believe is a fraudulent request for payment. The first invoice was for $0 and about an hour later another invoice for $50. They claim they are WHO but the requester name is in Chinese symbols. I try to click cancel but it just takes me into the invoice instead of canceling the transaction. 

Login to Me Too

Stephieness
New Community Member
I received the same thing! I forwarded both emails to spoof@paypal.com and I also tried to report the transactions and I got the same message as you did. I tried chatting with a PayPal rep but all reps are offline at this time
Login to Me Too

ChrisCooling
Contributor
Contributor

I think I'm just going to post this response once a day since we have continual new people posting.
To new posters:
-Advice from Paypal Support is inconsistent and sometimes outright incorrect.
-Neither your account, nor Paypal, has been "hacked" because you received an invoice.
-An invoice is NOT A DEBIT FROM YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT. You can simply not pay it.
-The WHO is not sending out unsolicited invoices for donations on any payment platform.
-ANY PAYPAL USER CAN INVOICE ANY human with an email address. This is a popular, heavily used feature of Paypal. Paypal allows invoice senders to use any logo or image they attach, as well as link to any website they wish. Thus, no invoice should ever be trusted on this platform unless it is from a party you are expecting a bill from for the amount you expect the bill to be.
-A Paypal coding bug causes the cancel button to not work on the web. The invoice senders did not disable it. To cancel any unwanted invoice: At the end of the URL after you click the button to cancel the invoice manually type ?action=cancel and enter. Using the website, you should then be able to cancel this fraudulent invoice.

Login to Me Too

eschisler

I received an invoice for $35 from WHO COVID-19 Relief which I did not agree to or authorize.  I messaged customer service and their response on how to cancel the invoice is listed below. 
Hope it helps! 

----------------------------------------

I understand your concern about removing an invoice. I've checked your account and I can see you received an invoice request
Here’s how to cancel a money request or invoice:
  1. Log in to your PayPal account.

2. Either find the request or invoice on your Summary page or click Activity.

3. Click Cancel next to it.

4. Click Yes to complete the cancellation.

When you cancel a money request, it’s always a good idea to email your recipient to tell them about the cancellation.
Login to Me Too

HSM777
New Community Member

That doesn't work for me. I clicked cancel and then the WHO invoice filled the entire page. No where was there an option to click yes to confirm.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.